Cooling System

I have about 55k on my rig.

At what point does the water pump, t-stat and other crap typically fail?

I noticed it running a little warmer lately.  Radiator is clean.  Heater doesn't seem to be as warm anymore either.

I keep hearing about casting sand clogging stuff up.  Thoughts?

3 hours ago, BHaner said:

I noticed it running a little warmer lately.  Radiator is clean.  Heater doesn't seem to be as warm anymore either.

I though the casting sand deal was pre-2013?

II started replacing the t-stat/housing yearly. I also carry a spare. I had one pinhole on me on a trip & had to cut it short. They're cheap & simple to replace. 

As for the other stuff, IDK. I just gave my 2012 Durango with the 3.6 in it to my son in law to run until it dies. It's got 265k on it and nothing in the engine's been touched except oil changes. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Gruff said:

II started replacing the t-stat/housing yearly. I also carry a spare. I had one pinhole on me on a trip & had to cut it short. They're cheap & simple to replace. 

Not a bad idea.  I already pack spare idlers.  No reason.  🤣

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, BHaner said:

Not a bad idea.  I already pack spare idlers.  No reason.  🤣

I thought it was for a pretty good reason 🤣🤣

As for the rest, my only failure has been the radiator splitting down the seam. 

Flex kills them. 

I've heard many people who have trouble with the aftermarket ones. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, BHaner said:

About 54k. 😎

Just pull all hoses, backwash the core, flush the radiator and block, change the stat and pump, then call it a day.

Last thing you want is your cooling system taking a shit on the trail. Ask me how I know 🙄

Unless Ed's around... He loves to tow people out. 😂

• Like 2
16 hours ago, BaddestCross said:

About 54k. 😎

Just pull all hoses, backwash the core, flush the radiator and block, change the stat and pump, then call it a day.

Last thing you want is your cooling system taking a shit on the trail. Ask me how I know 🙄

Unless Ed's around... He loves to tow people out. 😂

What hose did you pull? It took me hours to fill and drain because I didn't want to splice into the system.

Edit. I now see you said all hoses.

I ordered up a new t-stat/housing, water pump, and new coolant.

I have always been able to smell coolant when it gets warm.  I have never been able to find a leak or any of that pink/white crust that forms when it leaks.

I suspect the radiator or oil cooler but haven't been able to see anything.  I add about a cup of coolant to the tank every 6 months or so.

This last summer heading over the pass was the first time I have seen it get warm.  It wasn't even that hot out.

This is the first winter that the heater wasn't up to par.

We will see how it goes!

3 hours ago, BHaner said:

I ordered up a new t-stat/housing, water pump, and new coolant.

I have always been able to smell coolant when it gets warm.  I have never been able to find a leak or any of that pink/white crust that forms when it leaks.

I suspect the radiator or oil cooler but haven't been able to see anything.  I add about a cup of coolant to the tank every 6 months or so.

This last summer heading over the pass was the first time I have seen it get warm.  It wasn't even that hot out.

This is the first winter that the heater wasn't up to par.

We will see how it goes!

Mine only has 30k miles on it and I did a full coolant flush in November. I think I came close to or did boiled the coolant and the jeep temps would raise quicker then normal. I did a fill and flush like 6 times and it took me hours. I went away from the Mopar coolant and the jeep is defiantly running cooler now. I haven't had the over heat issues since the flush. What I have seen is around the 80k mark when problem like you said start to happen, but we do push our rigs harder then most so I would expect the issue to arise sooner. 

Good info.  I will put some extra time into the flush.  I bet the heater core is full of crap.

I am just hoping that I didn't damage anything.  I don't think it got above 240... But when it got over 230 I could feel an odd vibration.  That is what caused me to look at the gauges.

36 minutes ago, BaddestCross said:

This. When my radiator split, I didn't see where it was coming from right off. I did smell the coolant though. 

Same. 

I could smell it, and see an occasional leak, but could not see it until the day it split open.

I would put a tiny bit of coolant in every couple of months, and could not tell where it was going. 

• Thumbs Up 1
22 minutes ago, BHaner said:

Crap.  Maybe I better find a radiator and do it all at once.

As much as you've flexed over the years probably not a bad idea. These separate from where the aluminum crimps to the plastic. 

Besides that it's so much fun. 🙄

Oh, and yes, Mopar. I tried a Crown (Think it was Crown) once and wasn't too happy with the quality. It didn't come apart but it didn't look like the Mopar did.

2 hours ago, BaddestCross said:

Doesn't necessarily have to be Mopar, but definitely OEM-style replacement. I think we got ours from O'Reilly.

I have the one from O'Reilly also, and hope it lasts till the future LS requires a bigger one. 

For the few extra bones it costs, I would get Mopar, unless I was stuck in the desert waiting, then whichever one is available is the best one. 

• Like 1