New to me 2019 Ford Raptor

ResurrectionJK

Not sure where else to post this so… here goes. 

Picked up a new to me 2nd Gen Raptor last week. Wasn’t really looking at Raptors but this was to good of a deal to pass up. Took it on a road trip to SoCal and back up up to Utah. Loads of fun stock but of course, I’m already thinking of what I wanna do. 

Anyone else have experience with these trucks?  Thinking I want to run 37’s and maybe a Tune of some kind. At sea level it was an entirely different truck than it is up here at 4700 feet. Not going to be jumping it but, I ran it a little bit just outside Mesquite and it’s place is in the dirt for sure. Also has to be daily friendly as it’s going to replace our family vehicle. CFE406B5-AAF0-4FAA-875D-2E59623D1804.thumb.jpeg.160203df739e892af92247110d8afa48.jpeg

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, AxK said:

Finally a real truck posted on here and not that Ram shit LOL.

Lolz. Yuh even if I wanted a TRX I don’t have TRX money. I’ve always liked the F-150’s and we decided we were going to buy a lariat with the FX4 package and just build it to be an overland and daily rig. We don’t tow. Likely never will. The Raptor is pretty much prefect right out of the gate. And, on the road trip roughly 1500 miles, I averaged a little over 18.7 MPG’s. Bout the only thing I can find to complain about is that I can’t take it on Pritchett canyon or the Rubicon lolz.  

14 hours ago, AxK said:

Finally a real truck posted on here and not that Ram shit LOL.

What can I say... Most here know better than to buy a Ford.

It's ok.  I will remember to talk slower and use shorter words...  Gotta be inclusive you know... 😘

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
On 1/31/2022 at 8:55 PM, ResurrectionJK said:

Lolz. Yuh even if I wanted a TRX I don’t have TRX money. I’ve always liked the F-150’s and we decided we were going to buy a lariat with the FX4 package and just build it to be an overland and daily rig. We don’t tow. Likely never will. The Raptor is pretty much prefect right out of the gate. And, on the road trip roughly 1500 miles, I averaged a little over 18.7 MPG’s. Bout the only thing I can find to complain about is that I can’t take it on Pritchett canyon or the Rubicon lolz.  

You would be amazed at what you can get a raptor through! The looks I’ve had have been pretty priceless. 37s are a huge upgrade to them. The stock valving is pretty stiff compared to what really makes them ride good in the dirt. Drawback on fixing the valving is you get a lot more roll when trying to run it like a rally car.
Another must have improvement is air bumps with the frame reinforcement brackets. All of ours except one have the SVC adjustable kit. That way you have a stock shock mount setting, a bed cage setting if ever go that far, and a tow setting which basically makes the air bumps work like airbags! 

Raptors are awesome as long as remember it drove off the lot with a warranty. Too many people think they bought a race truck and then bitch when it breaks because they are an idiot.

On 2/6/2022 at 7:26 PM, Redline said:

You would be amazed at what you can get a raptor through! The looks I’ve had have been pretty priceless. 37s are a huge upgrade to them. The stock valving is pretty stiff compared to what really makes them ride good in the dirt. Drawback on fixing the valving is you get a lot more roll when trying to run it like a rally car.
Another must have improvement is air bumps with the frame reinforcement brackets. All of ours except one have the SVC adjustable kit. That way you have a stock shock mount setting, a bed cage setting if ever go that far, and a tow setting which basically makes the air bumps work like airbags! 

Raptors are awesome as long as remember it drove off the lot with a warranty. Too many people think they bought a race truck and then bitch when it breaks because they are an idiot.

Been reading up some more and a topic that constantly comes up is cam phasers. Some say it’s a big deal, others not so much. Thoughts?

4 hours ago, ResurrectionJK said:

Been reading up some more and a topic that constantly comes up is cam phasers. Some say it’s a big deal, others not so much. Thoughts?

Maybe just lucky but haven’t had to deal with those. Besides having some coil pack issues on one, all 4 of ours haven’t had an engine problem. One had pinion bearing go out which was a common problem for a few other people I found. But it was basically if it made it past 10k miles and it didn’t go out then you were fine.

All four of ours are gen 1s though so the engine and trans are completely different. You’re lucky on the trans, but missing a couple cylinders! Although you can pass A Lot more gas stations!!!!

I would recommend don’t touch anything engine and trans until it tells you it needs it. The computers have so many protocols and safety parameters (unfortunately favoring warranty over fun) that they start getting unhappy quickly when you change stuff. The one Roush that I put headers on turned into a slight nightmare getting it to run right and perform. The EcoTurds are pretty good stock. Wont beat a Roush but poop all over the N/A gen 1s. 
We run ours pretty hard whether they are towing, chasing race trucks, prerunning, or just having fun playing with the JeepJeeps. I asked a few people I know personally with the ecoboost and none of them have touched the cam phasers. 

10 hours ago, Redline said:

Maybe just lucky but haven’t had to deal with those. Besides having some coil pack issues on one, all 4 of ours haven’t had an engine problem. One had pinion bearing go out which was a common problem for a few other people I found. But it was basically if it made it past 10k miles and it didn’t go out then you were fine.

All four of ours are gen 1s though so the engine and trans are completely different. You’re lucky on the trans, but missing a couple cylinders! Although you can pass A Lot more gas stations!!!!

I would recommend don’t touch anything engine and trans until it tells you it needs it. The computers have so many protocols and safety parameters (unfortunately favoring warranty over fun) that they start getting unhappy quickly when you change stuff. The one Roush that I put headers on turned into a slight nightmare getting it to run right and perform. The EcoTurds are pretty good stock. Wont beat a Roush but poop all over the N/A gen 1s. 
We run ours pretty hard whether they are towing, chasing race trucks, prerunning, or just having fun playing with the JeepJeeps. I asked a few people I know personally with the ecoboost and none of them have touched the cam phasers. 

Awesome thanks for the feedback. I don’t play the tuning game even with our other vehicles just because I don’t want the headache of a tune messing things up. We’re gonna cruise it as is for the summer and it might get a little SVC treatment. The truck is addicting. Might have to get one for myself so we don’t end up turning my wife’s into a project 🤓

On 2/1/2022 at 1:41 PM, Gruff said:

Lol, now that I ditched my Ford for a Ram, I can laugh at this.....

600f5fae9b2ba-7475835680.jpeg

Love the Ford jokes even though I'm driving a 2019 Expedition.

I've wanted a Raptor since I ran Cleghorn with one and found out they're essentially the Rubicon version of the F150. The closest I've come is this which I bought used in 2015. This was the nightmare truck. I don't do much work on cars. So when I bought it, I was going to take it in to have it serviced, oil change, checkout, etc. Wife didn't want to get the warranty and then told me to wait until I needed the first oil change.

Fast forward 3 months and the engine needed to be replaced. About $8K later, I had a brand new engine. The brand new engine lasted about 2 months and then ALSO needed to be replaced (this time under warranty at least). After that, lasted about 2 years. Had a noisy pulley replaced. They over torqued it. Went to start it up one morning and it ripped a hole in the engine block, spewing oil. Also needed new tires and some other stuff. Traded it for a bone stock 2018 STX. Traded that for a 2019 Expedition last summer (new, but on clearance due to sitting on the lot) to keep the kids separated as much as possible. 

F150_2011.thumb.jpg.ddc0fbb9a55a104126f077dd826c228c.jpg

• Haha 1
On 1/31/2022 at 10:11 PM, ResurrectionJK said:

Not sure where else to post this so… here goes. 

Picked up a new to me 2nd Gen Raptor last week. Wasn’t really looking at Raptors but this was to good of a deal to pass up. Took it on a road trip to SoCal and back up up to Utah. Loads of fun stock but of course, I’m already thinking of what I wanna do. 

Anyone else have experience with these trucks?  Thinking I want to run 37’s and maybe a Tune of some kind. At sea level it was an entirely different truck than it is up here at 4700 feet. Not going to be jumping it but, I ran it a little bit just outside Mesquite and it’s place is in the dirt for sure. Also has to be daily friendly as it’s going to replace our family vehicle. CFE406B5-AAF0-4FAA-875D-2E59623D1804.thumb.jpeg.160203df739e892af92247110d8afa48.jpeg

Hey boss!  Still have the Raptor?  I'm a fella Raptor owner as well.  I have a 17.  Sucks having 2 vehicals to throw money at.  Just wish the raptor was able to tow the JK.