Currie LP60 Thoughts

Was wondering what peoples thoughts were on Curries new LP60 rear axle?  It contains massive 40 spline axle shafts, set 80 bearings, beefed up flanges, tubes etc. yet its still a semi float.. Exodus 4x4 talked about/spoke highly of them and they are using them on builds.  Bubba said they should handle anything in a YouTube video about them. 🤔

3CEDDA87-5815-4B16-9554-00304107D8DD.png

A5196CCD-8510-40A6-A14A-2CBA434E638E.png

My thoughts are as follows:

Unless you are going to really punish your Jeep, that should hold up. 

I have the Fusion hybrid 60 rear, which is similar, but 35 spline axles, not 40 spline. I ran hard for a year and a half, and they were 4 years old when I got them. 

I never bent a flange or was worried about breaking one. Most of that time was on 37s, the last half year on 40s. 

Those who have wheeled with me will agree that I'm not easy on equipment, so if I don't have a problem, most others won't either. 

That said, the Currie offering with the 40 spline axles should be even stronger. 

The only thing I don't like about it is the width is stock. Mine are 68.5" wide, so more stable and better clearance. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, I can't in good conscience vote for SF axles. I had the Dynatrac PR60 semi float and I bent flanges 3 separate times before I got rid of it. And that was on 37's. I know Jerry has been hard on his but if you're gonna spend that kind of money on axles pull the trigger on a FF. Because even with 40 spline axles, you still have this as a weak point. Your goal should be to get rid of all weak points. Just my 2 cents

A5196CCD-8510-40A6-A14A-2CBA434E638E.png.bb99f388f56a2b8b751c3df10865578c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
1 hour ago, Gruff said:

Sorry, I can't in good conscience vote for SF axles. I had the Dynatrac PR60 semi float and I bent flanges 3 separate times before I got rid of it. And that was on 37's. I know Jerry has been hard on his but if you're gonna spend that kind of money on axles pull the trigger on a FF. Because even with 40 spline axles, you still have this as a weak point. Your goal should be to get rid of all weak points. Just my 2 cents

A5196CCD-8510-40A6-A14A-2CBA434E638E.png.bb99f388f56a2b8b751c3df10865578c.jpg

In the end, you are right. 

If you have the money for this, it's not that much more to get the right (full float) one. 

Budget builds usually end up getting rebuilt again, and costing more than it takes to do it right the first time. 

Building part way inevitably leads to tackling harder obstacles, and pushing the new "good enough" parts past their limit.

Take note, I am not contradicting my above statement, so much as adding to it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So the cost on the Currie axle is roughly $6K OTD and I could use my current front axle and beadlocks.  Cost to go tons would run around 17K but the prices keep going up every few weeks.   Northridge is now selling UD60’s for over 20K with tax.  Who knows at the rate things are going they will probably be 30K next year.🤷‍♂️

Just gauging the cost to benefit ratio here..  

I’ve only bent & twisted one rear axle shaft on my rear 44 so far on 37’s. (A Revolution Foote shaft). Just tired of dragging the belly and 1” additional lift and 40’s would really help with that.   

1 hour ago, Crawl2Camp said:

So the cost on the Currie axle is roughly $6K OTD and I could use my current front axle and beadlocks.  Cost to go tons would run around 17K but the prices keep going up every few weeks.   Northridge is now selling UD60’s for over 20K with tax.  Who knows at the rate things are going they will probably be 30K next year.🤷‍♂️

I’ve only bent & twisted one rear axle shaft on my rear 44 so far on 37’s. (A Revolution Foote shaft). Just tired of dragging the belly and 1” additional lift and 40’s would really help with that.   

UDs for 20k. OMG I paid less then 14k shipped to my house.

I feel the Curries are the best axles out there.

5 hours ago, Crawl2Camp said:

So getting off the price talked what are you running up front now?

11 hours ago, fiend said:

I dunno if this is real, but if it is it could be a good deal for someone. Particularly someone not in California who can avoid sales tax. 

http://rwkhaussupply.com/drivetrain/specials/dana-60/ultimate-dana-60-crate-axles-front-rear-jeep-jk-5-38-with-electronic-locker.html

Yeah I tried the checkout on his site last weekend and you cant complete any sales.  I left Robert a message near a week ago about this and the axles and he never got back to me.  Did some poking around this week and found out he sold his house, jeep, dumped all his gear sets and master overhaul sets for dirt cheap etc.  Seems he may have possibly rode off into the sunset. 

The next Best buy I had found was River City Offroad. Those Texans were giving free shipping and no tax also.   Unfortunately they pulled the UD60 axles/axle set completely off their website and raised the price on the UD44’s that still remain.

• Sad 2
9 hours ago, AxK said:

So getting off the price talked what are you running up front now?

Sorry to be ranting a bit on prices, it’s just so consuming right now.

I run a Tera R44 front axle with Revolution/Foote forged shafts and Rancho knuckles.  The axle is their HD unit with 3.25” dia. 1/2” thick tubes, caster correction, boxed/gusseted 1/4” brackets, pushed out shock mounts etc. 

61492659-8195-40E7-8A2F-30C542E547E1.jpeg

8 hours ago, Crawl2Camp said:

Sorry to be ranting a bit on prices, it’s just so consuming right now.

I run a Tera R44 front axle with Revolution/Foote forged shafts and Rancho knuckles.  The axle is their HD unit with 3.25” dia. 1/2” thick tubes, caster correction, boxed/gusseted 1/4” brackets, pushed out shock mounts etc. 

LOL, no I was talking about me going off track on price of the UD's. Seeing what you have up front the LP would be a good add. But IF 40's are rolling around in your head right now just wait. When I went to the PR44 I had zero intentions of going to 40s but that changed about a year later.

I sold my PR44 and rear axel for $6500 and the UDs cost me under 14K, so I got into a set of 60s for $ 7500. Just saying this as a option for you as well.

I guess my two biggest questions would be "have you had problems with the rear axle you have in it now?" and "what's the end goal?"

Here's my two cents (coming from someone who can't stick with a plan)

If you have $6k burning a hole in your pocket and you are having nothing but problems with your 44, sure this will get you through.  I almost went a similar way to this a couple of years ago when I drove back from Moab with a bent flange.  It was a long, squeaky drive.  But at $6000 to really not gain too much, I personally would just be ready with extra shafts.

If you are planning on going to something bigger, then I would save the money.  

Curries are awesome axles and worth their price.  Just cause we are talking about semi float and to throw out another option, I think a few of the guys on here have Fusion axles.  On their site they have a 35 spline semi float 60 with your choice of locker for $4795

They also have tons with steering for $16595....  just sayin.

• Thumbs Up 1
8 minutes ago, AxK said:

LOL, no I was talking about me going off track on price of the UD's. Seeing what you have up front the LP would be a good add. But IF 40's are rolling around in your head right now just wait. When I went to the PR44 I had zero intentions of going to 40s but that changed about a year later.

I sold my PR44 and rear axel for $6500 and the UDs cost me under 14K, so I got into a set of 60s for $ 7500. Just saying this as a option for you as well.

I've really got to get to selling my old axles.  They've been sitting on Byron's property forever....

1 minute ago, Jetlau3 said:

I have a rotational squeak that is starting to annoy me . Wonder if I bent a flange . Been too lazy to check 

If it's in back it would be the first thing I would check, especially if it's a consistent and rhythmic "squeak squeak squeak".  

On 2/25/2022 at 11:58 PM, Crawl2Camp said:

Yeah I tried the checkout on his site last weekend and you cant complete any sales.  I left Robert a message near a week ago about this and the axles and he never got back to me.  Did some poking around this week and found out he sold his house, jeep, dumped all his gear sets and master overhaul sets for dirt cheap etc.  Seems he may have possibly rode off into the sunset. 

I got both of my Currie axles through Robert. His prices were unbeatable at the time and Blaine recommended him. He also did my gear/locker work when I kept braking shit on my HP30 and OEM rear D44.

I got the rear a few years ago and was waiting for the money to come in. It was near the end of the year and he told me I better order before new years because Currie was about to raise prices and not give resellers deals. When I picked it up, we discussed it again. Said he might not be able to get better prices than what Currie offered to individuals, would make it not worth it for him. I haven't talked to him since, but that might have contributed to his disappearing. 

Definitely a shame because he did great work. I'll have to ask Blaine next time I talk to him. Not sure who he would recommend now. 

• Thumbs Up 1
6 hours ago, suicideking said:

I got both of my Currie axles through Robert. His prices were unbeatable at the time and Blaine recommended him. He also did my gear/locker work when I kept braking shit on my HP30 and OEM rear D44.

I got the rear a few years ago and was waiting for the money to come in. It was near the end of the year and he told me I better order before new years because Currie was about to raise prices and not give resellers deals. When I picked it up, we discussed it again. Said he might not be able to get better prices than what Currie offered to individuals, would make it not worth it for him. I haven't talked to him since, but that might have contributed to his disappearing. 

Definitely a shame because he did great work. I'll have to ask Blaine next time I talk to him. Not sure who he would recommend now. 

Yeah Robert did two sets of gears for me also.  Yeah I’d be interested to see what Blaine knows about all of this.  
I guess we’ll just have to watch some YouTube videos and go at it like Greer.