Arb air compressor and mount

Arb high output single air compressor stopped working this weekend . Motor runs but no air . Suspect a piston or something else .  

Bought it 4 years ago so it is past the 3 year warranty .  No one really sell rebuild kits . If I take it apart and identify what is wrong I can purchase those parts probably from arb . 

Decided to get another air compressor in the meantime .  I’m only using it for airing up tires (for now) as im running factory e lockers . I also have a evo under hood mount that just fits the single . 

is it worth it to switch to the double ? Will it make any difference if I decide to plumb lockers into it later ? What mount would be best if I wanted to keep it under the hood ? 

Leaning towards just ordering another single and repairing the other one when I get around to it .  Worked fine for 4 years but is a bit slow for even 37s . 

11 hours ago, Jetlau3 said:

Arb high output single air compressor stopped working this weekend . Motor runs but no air . Suspect a piston or something else .  

Bought it 4 years ago so it is past the 3 year warranty .  No one really sell rebuild kits . If I take it apart and identify what is wrong I can purchase those parts probably from arb . 

Decided to get another air compressor in the meantime .  I’m only using it for airing up tires (for now) as im running factory e lockers . I also have a evo under hood mount that just fits the single . 

is it worth it to switch to the double ? Will it make any difference if I decide to plumb lockers into it later ? What mount would be best if I wanted to keep it under the hood ? 

Leaning towards just ordering another single and repairing the other one when I get around to it .  Worked fine for 4 years but is a bit slow for even 37s . 

I used to run my twin under the hood on a MORE mount by the brake booster. With all the salt here in Michigan, it corroded the bolts that secure the pistons to the motors and sheared them off. I took pictures of it and sent them to ARB and even though it was years after I bought them, they sent me replacement motors and pistons to rebuild it for free. Because of they, I relocated the twin under the passenger seat with a JK Innovations mount and have had no issues since.  So definitely contact them, they are a great company and I would guess they will help you out. 

as far as needing a twin, they do fill up tires twice as fast, but you also have redundancy.  If one motor fails, the second continues to operate.

what is going on with your single?   

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm also running the dual under the passenger seat with the JK innovation mount & 4 tire air up kit.   It is noisy but I only use it for airing up.  I think if I had air lockers I'd put a dedicated single under the hood.

I have little experience with an ARB single, other than a very old one that my dad gave me.  It worked but was extremely slow.  

For the past several years I have ran an ARB dual.  It’s mounted under the passenger seat along with an ARB 1 gallon tank (thanks again, Bill @wjtstudios) using an ARB mount. Currently it supplies a JK Innovations four wheel fill up kit, as well as an EVO no limits kit for the sway bar. Once I get my new axles  in, I’ll be running lockers on it too. 

I have never regretted going with the dual.  It fills up the 37s reasonably quickly.  Not as fast as CO2 obviously, but I’m generally not the last to fill up, which is fine with me. 

I still have my old Carolina Metal Masters mount for mounting under the passenger seat. You can have it free if you want it. It worked fine for me until I got the tank, which required switching to the ARB mount. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Twin under passenger seat with a CMM mount. Even running the air lockers it's not that bad. It only runs for a few seconds when needed. I like it out of the elements and semi-protected. The only better place would be on the side of the cargo area, which I may look into now that the cage is going in. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Sounds like I should go with a dual under the passenger seat instead of replacing the single .  Then if I go air lockers in the future, I can put a dedicated single back in the same place I have it now .  

im gonna order the dual.  Greer would be great to get the CMM mount from you next time I see you . I’m prob gonna order the JK innovation air up kit too so will take a better look at how everything works 

• Thumbs Up 1
13 minutes ago, Jetlau3 said:

Sounds like I should go with a dual under the passenger seat instead of replacing the single .  Then if I go air lockers in the future, I can put a dedicated single back in the same place I have it now .  

im gonna order the dual.  Greer would be great to get the CMM mount from you next time I see you . I’m prob gonna order the JK innovation air up kit too so will take a better look at how everything works 

I don’t know why you’d need two compressors. 

you’re welcome to the CMM mount. Just remind me because I will forget to bring it. 

32 minutes ago, fiend said:

I don’t know why you’d need two compressors. 

you’re welcome to the CMM mount. Just remind me because I will forget to bring it. 

The JK innovations kit specifically says “not for use with air lockers in addition to tire inflation “ .   Idk much about it but paired with Daves comment that he would get a dedicated one to run lockers, wasn’t sure if there was an issue 

3 hours ago, Jetlau3 said:

The JK innovations kit specifically says “not for use with air lockers in addition to tire inflation “ .   Idk much about it but paired with Daves comment that he would get a dedicated one to run lockers, wasn’t sure if there was an issue 

I run my lockers off mine under the seat. I just located the manifold under the hood and ran an ARB stainless line out to it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Tire time from single to twin is huge. Noticed that when switched from single to twin on the bosses jeep, so when I did our jeep and put lockers in just went straight to twin under the passenger seat. 
side note...... first time I turned compressor on to engage lockers my wife said “ oh, that’s different but I’m not complaining “

• Haha 3
On 3/1/2022 at 12:46 PM, Jetlau3 said:

Dave can speak for himself, but I think he was referring to the noise of having the compressor under the seat, which might be more bothersome if the compressor is used for lockers and not just filling tires at the end.  

With a manifold, you can run multiple things off a single compressor, particularly if they don’t constantly draw simultaneously. 

31 minutes ago, fiend said:

Dave can speak for himself, but I think he was referring to the noise of having the compressor under the seat, which might be more bothersome if the compressor is used for lockers and not just filling tires at the end.  

With a manifold, you can run multiple things off a single compressor, particularly if they don’t constantly draw simultaneously. 

It's not that big of a noise issue...until you have an air leak, making the compressor run all of the time. As far as redundancy goes, I had a solenoid and an inline fuse/holder that got smoked on my arb twin on the trail with Brute...lost lockers, evo sway bar pneumatic disconnect and ability to air up afterwards...not dead in the water stuff, but inconvenient...but not worth the hassle of having twin compressors (says the guy with twin everything...)

Upgraded to the dual under seat and the JK innovations kit .  At least I’ll be able to hangout and be done early when airing up vs being last person after 20 mins.  

will keep the evo mount and rebuild and repair the single in case I go to air lockers down the road . It’s already there 

• Thumbs Up 2

I don’t think you'll be disappointed with that setup.  If and when you get air lockers you can decide how you want to control them. 

In my 2 door with the tumble seat I'd be concerned with the manifold & solenoids getting damaged with seat folded forward to access the back.  Of course that part could always be remoted, but I've always thought it would be easier to just put in a dedicated pump for the lockers.

On 3/3/2022 at 6:03 AM, Dave said:

I don’t think you'll be disappointed with that setup.  If and when you get air lockers you can decide how you want to control them. 

In my 2 door with the tumble seat I'd be concerned with the manifold & solenoids getting damaged with seat folded forward to access the back.  Of course that part could always be remoted, but I've always thought it would be easier to just put in a dedicated pump for the lockers.

On ours when put the twin under the seat, I ran the main line under the hood and mounted the manifold there. Did that specifically because have a 6yo that can accidentally break anything in her reach. Also it was much easier to run 1 air line and some wires vs 4 air lines.

• Haha 1

Here is another option to running an ARB. Nothing against ARB, I have their twin compressor in my LJ. But I just recently put in OffRoadOnly mini york in mine to eliminate the noise the ARB makes as mine is mounted inside. My dogs hate it. I don't know how well they install on the JKs, but the install on my LJ wasn't bad. And they are very quiet and put out almost double the air as the dual ARB at just over 10 cfm compared to just over 6 cfm. Albeit a little more pricey than the ARB.

https://offroadonly.com/shop/on-board-air/york-mini-on-board-air-kit-wrangler-jk-2012-18-3-6l-v6/

1 hour ago, oldmanfox said:

Here is another option to running an ARB. Nothing against ARB, I have their twin compressor in my LJ. But I just recently put in OffRoadOnly mini york in mine to eliminate the noise the ARB makes as mine is mounted inside. My dogs hate it. I don't know how well they install on the JKs, but the install on my LJ wasn't bad. And they are very quiet and put out almost double the air as the dual ARB at just over 10 cfm compared to just over 6 cfm. Albeit a little more pricey than the ARB.

https://offroadonly.com/shop/on-board-air/york-mini-on-board-air-kit-wrangler-jk-2012-18-3-6l-v6/

Nice kit, but spendy. If you want to run lockers off it, you’ll also need a tank (or ARB’s manifold kit).

Lots of good info here on what people are doing, thanks guys. 👍
 I got an ARB twin and manifold coming in with my axles.  I need to run the lockers and also want to go to a nice air up system with it.  This gives me a few ideas on what to do and where to look. 

On 3/1/2022 at 12:46 PM, Jetlau3 said:

So i looked on their website and the normal air up kit states what you referenced “not for use with air lockers” and refers you to their kit with their “manifold” added to it. (IJKP-19).  I’m assuming any time you run lockers you need some sort of manifold to hold a bit of pressure in and thats why they stated that.  I have an ARB manifold coming in so im going to verify with them if I can just order their normal kit and plumb it in. 

8AF11866-42B8-45B5-B9F6-02E47E151079.png

22A8A1DA-3859-47B7-B708-8408BC3C4856.png

I think normally the ARB manifold is attached directly to the compressor output.  There may not be enough room under the seat for that with this kit.  The kit has a tee and plumbing going to outlets on the side of the front seats.  I'm sure once you have all the parts in hand you'll be able find a way to make it work.  You might have to remote the manifold.

• Thumbs Up 1
24 minutes ago, Dave said:

I think normally the ARB manifold is attached directly to the compressor output.  There may not be enough room under the seat for that with this kit.  The kit has a tee and plumbing going to outlets on the side of the front seats.  I'm sure once you have all the parts in hand you'll be able find a way to make it work.  You might have to remote the manifold.

Thanks.  Yeah im sure it probably has something to do with their routing or they just want you to buy their specific manifold for fitment like you suggest. I contacted innovative and asked them for some clarification.  If i need to, I’ll just buy the kit with their manifold and sell the ARB.  I definitely want to use the twin for both the lockers and for airing up. 

Depending on how you wheel, the only other concern I have with the under seat location for lockers is it can get flooded if you go through a deep water crossing.  For air up only you can drain the cabin before running the compressor, but not necessarily if using it for lockers.  You might want to consider the remote filter &  intake setup that ARB makes.