Mopar J8 Booster & Master Cylinder Alternatives?

2 minutes ago, Crawl2Camp said:

So even the J8 was spongy and the pedal would drop a bit before engaging the brakes?  Grrrrreat.

Not initially.  When it the Crown J8 failed x 3 ...it went to the floor every time.  The replacement OE 1 1/16 bore is not spongy in my opinion.  Not like stock on stock wheels and axles but definitely not spongy.

12 minutes ago, Crawl2Camp said:

If im not mistaken, the 1 1/16” master is used in all 2013+ Jeeps from the factory.  I’m currently using my stock unit (S/B this as I have a MY14) and the pedal is spongy. I’ve bled it three times, then had it flushed and bled at a shop per requirements including ABS.  I’m a bit worried to see how it will work out on the trail, because with my stock axles the brakes would get worse in 4 low and low RPM.  

I also replaced the soft lines at the calipers with braided lines which improved the brake pedal.

3 minutes ago, WarthogJK said:

Not initially.  When it the Crown J8 failed x 3 ...it went to the floor every time.  The replacement OE 1 1/16 bore is not spongy in my opinion.  Not like stock on stock wheels and axles but definitely not spongy.

Maybe I just need to try a new OEM master then and see if I get an improvement.  

• Like 1

Just an FYI they are currently manufacturing the J8 booster and master cylinder again.  I got a ship date direct from Mopar via Morris 4x4 who I bought it from over a year ago, that it will ship from Mopar by the end of this month. (Given a date of 10/24/22)  I talked to Northridge today and they also conformed this is correct and that it is back in production. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
1 hour ago, Nice Little Jeep said:

“I went to my local auto parts store and they had the 1 inch (small) and the 1 1/16 inch bore (medium).  They have different part numbers.”

what’s the part #

I think the 1 1/16” bore master is:
68091278AE

Just ensure it’s a master cylinder specifically for a MY14-MY17 and you should be good. (The MY12 and older were the 1” bore)

This was a good read last night at midnight while I couldn’t sleep this topic put me to sleep. 😁 I found that Mopar/Jeep dealerships only can sell the complete J8 system. Now I have found individual brake master parts are sold by Mopar but none of them are in stock. The only product that’s in stock is Crown parts. so that’s what I assembled mine with everything is crown except the brake master reservoir which is Mopar. I’m on my second master cylinder from Crown with a zip tie securing the reservoir to the master cylinder because I think that’s the real problem I’m having. Time will tell.

Note: my brakes have never not worked during this process. I’ve had 100% phenomenal brake pedal just got brake fluid seeping from between the reservoir and the master cylinder.

I have used DOT3 in this build from the beginning and my brakes have worked. phenomenally well from the beginning.

sorry if I’m late to the party. 😁😎

On 10/17/2022 at 11:27 PM, Crawl2Camp said:

Just an FYI they are currently manufacturing the J8 booster and master cylinder again.  I got a ship date direct from Mopar via Morris 4x4 who I bought it from over a year ago, that it will ship from Mopar by the end of this month. (Given a date of 10/24/22)  I talked to Northridge today and they also conformed this is correct and that it is back in production. 

Good news. I think I got the last one on Northridge’s shelf last fall. It’s been working well, even though I never did do an ABS bleed. 

• Thumbs Up 2
On 10/17/2022 at 11:27 PM, Crawl2Camp said:

That is good news, if my current set up doesn’t work then I’ll put an order in for the complete unit from Mopar.