ARB and seal replacement question

So UD60 Elocker warranty claim has been started but if they deny I am going back to ARB. 

I want to confirm that when I hear of seal leaks on ARB that normally pertains to the two seal in the picture that are circled correct?

To me that seems like a simple fix. I know you have to pull the entire carrier but as long as you keep the shims and caps in the right order you just set it back in torque it back down and all is good right?

1994525525_Screenshot_20220304-120506_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.3e6707f7dea4e35ae06538f393bb90de.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Unless you break the copper line at the solder ball when you remove the locker. 😂

My impression is that those rings are typically the issue.  I suppose a leak also could occur if the bonded seal fails. Part 4 in the diagram. 

4A8E55DD-C0C1-4894-85AF-7CFEFA4215D9.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok. So at that point you're pulling the locker apart which again doesn't seem to be all that difficult as long as you keep the shim Stacks in order so it goes right back together. That's my biggest concern. 

I like how the arb's a 4 pin versus the two pin I have as a e-locker

• Thumbs Up 1
30 minutes ago, fiend said:

I thought Eaton had moved to a four pin design for the UD60 locker?

Rumors.... I inquired about that when I bought these. I was never able to get a confirmed answer if they were going to go to the 4 pin but mine are definitely 2.

13 minutes ago, BHaner said:

Mine was #4 in the pic above.  They sent seals for #1 but I didn't pull the bearing off because I couldn't see it leaking there.

Did you need a press to change that?

2 minutes ago, AxK said:

Did you need a press to change that?

Nope.  You unbolt the ring gear... Split the ARB... And the seal is under the locking ring (#5 above).  It was really simple to fix.

It took me way longer to remove the carrier from the Jeep than it took to fix the seal.  I had to replace the same seal on the front and rear ARB.  I made one trip on the new axles before it started leaking.

• Thumbs Up 2
2 minutes ago, BHaner said:

Nope.  You unbolt the ring gear... Split the ARB... And the seal is under the locking ring (#5 above).  It was really simple to fix.

It took me way longer to remove the carrier from the Jeep than it took to fix the seal.  I had to replace the same seal on the front and rear ARB.  I made one trip on the new axles before it started leaking.

I do remember hearing you say that but since then have you had to mess with the lockers?

15 minutes ago, AxK said:

I do remember hearing you say that but since then have you had to mess with the lockers?

Since then all my locker issues came from the compressor or supply line issues.

When I welded my Evo sliders onto the frame I melted the air line to the front.

I have been through 3 ARB dual compressors.  They won't admit it but they had a defect issue with their pressure switches.  I changed to a different brand of switch and haven't had an issue since. 

I now pack spare pressure switches, relays, and over pressure pop-offs.

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, AxK said:

Rumors.... I inquired about that when I bought these. I was never able to get a confirmed answer if they were going to go to the 4 pin but mine are definitely 2.

This is what I was asking about re 4 spiders or two. 

FYI, the spiders are the little ones that rotate on the cross shaft, they mesh with the side gears, which are the ones that the axle splines into. 

Obviously 4 spiders is twice as strong as two. 

• Thumbs Up 1
3 hours ago, Jdofmemi said:

This is what I was asking about re 4 spiders or two. 

FYI, the spiders are the little ones that rotate on the cross shaft, they mesh with the side gears, which are the ones that the axle splines into. 

Obviously 4 spiders is twice as strong as two. 

Yeah, I see Eaton has released the new 4 pin version but it's not in the UDs from what I was told the other day. I called Genright today to talk with them about Auburn and Yukon but never got a call back. This time I am exploring all my options. 

You know me Jerry I don't like to replace parts I prefer to upgrade. With that said there is a Currie 60/70 ARB set I have my eye on.

On 3/4/2022 at 1:30 PM, BHaner said:

Mine was #4 in the pic above.  They sent seals for #1 but I didn't pull the bearing off because I couldn't see it leaking there.

I read somewhere that ARB had a bad batch of those bonded seals.  It was several years ago. Hopefully it’s been resolved. 🤞🏻