Crawl2Camp’s 2014 JKUR Build(s)

12 minutes ago, Crawl2Camp said:

Thanks guys.
I’ll probably be putting fender deletes or their crawler flares on in another year or two.🥴  It never ends. 

Is that legal in CA? I was looking a the Genrights awhile ago but didn't know if it was legal?

1 hour ago, fiend said:

Whoa. Lots of supporting mods required.  🍿 

Yessir. 

14 bolt/ UD60 combo fell through due to shipping issues, which was unfortunate..  Right now I'm working on sealing a deal on the 14/SD60 combo that I showed you a little while back.  

4 hours ago, Crawl2Camp said:

Yessir. 

14 bolt/ UD60 combo fell through due to shipping issues, which was unfortunate..  Right now I'm working on sealing a deal on the 14/SD60 combo that I showed you a little while back.  

The set in Arizona? Could be a nice start for your project, depending on the price. 

4 hours ago, AxK said:

Nice pick up.

Thanks. Found a killer deal and had to pounce.  It included a set of new beadlocks also, so now I just need to sell those.

21 minutes ago, fiend said:

The set in Arizona? Could be a nice start for your project, depending on the price. 

Yes that set.  Sent him an offer and he knocked 2K off his asking price on a counter to my offer. I think thats fair?  I’m waiting on some additional photos of everything from him.  Figured I could just do a 13 bolt easy shave on the 14 bolt, along with a nice clean up and call it good.  Also kicking around the idea about going long arm. (Artec or Rock Krawler 3 link)

• Thumbs Up 1
1 hour ago, Crawl2Camp said:

Thanks. Found a killer deal and had to pounce.  It included a set of new beadlocks also, so now I just need to sell those.

Yes that set.  Sent him an offer and he knocked 2K off his asking price on a counter to my offer. I think thats fair?  I’m waiting on some additional photos of everything from him.  Figured I could just do a 13 bolt easy shave on the 14 bolt, along with a nice clean up and call it good.  Also kicking around the idea about going long arm. (Artec or Rock Krawler 3 link)

One concern I’d have with that set is you can’t really inspect before buying. If it were me, I’d want to see the gear mesh, feel the bearings, test the locker, etc. At a low enough price, the risk becomes more manageable.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a homebrew SD60/14 bolt set up is not an easy bolt in like UD60s for example.  You may need to relocate your front frame side track bar bracket. You may need new front lower control arms. You may need to figure out the ABS mods.  There are solutions for this stuff, but plan on some problem solving and additional expense.  

• Thumbs Up 2
1 hour ago, fiend said:

One concern I’d have with that set is you can’t really inspect before buying. If it were me, I’d want to see the gear mesh, feel the bearings, test the locker, etc. At a low enough price, the risk becomes more manageable.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a homebrew SD60/14 bolt set up is not an easy bolt in like UD60s for example.  You may need to relocate your front frame side track bar bracket. You may need new front lower control arms. You may need to figure out the ABS mods.  There are solutions for this stuff, but plan on some problem solving and additional expense.  

Thanks for your thoughts, i really appreciate that. 👍. Yeah there are definitely risks..  Do they outweigh the cost?  That’s really the question I need to figure out. He said he would take 8K for them.

The axles have the Artec JK swap kits on them front and back, along with the tone rings and sensors installed for JK.  He stated it had aftermarket hubs/bolt patterns are the same. I’m already thinking about welding on a new front frame side track bar bracket.  I have my front axle currently pushed forward as much as I can go and that also contributed to some of my trackbar issues I was having.  (No longer the case with the Rock Krawler bar I’m running now). Supposedly these axles only 150 miles on them.  They were on a SEMA build and were removed and sold to him after. He was going to build a JKU crawler but it never happened.  He is now selling everything.  (axles, JKU bare body he had bought etc.) It’s about a 6.5-7 hour drive to his place in Arizona.  Even if I went I don't feel I could sufficiently check the correct gear mesh.  I’m not sure how easy it is to check the ARB function either on a road trip.  I could ask him again if he could pop the covers and snap some photos etc.

After looking at things I really want to go wider than the UD’s.  72 WMS to WMS is optimal IMO and doesn’t back me into a corner for the future.  That and the price of them is just silly now and completely not worth it at 19K a set IMO. Even Fusion recently raised their prices..  14 bolt/60 is now 19K and their absolute cheapest offering in the 60/60 is now 18K.

After looking at things I really want to go wider than the UD’s.  72 WMS to WMS is optimal IMO and doesn’t back me into a corner for the future.  That and the price of them is just silly now and completely not worth it at 19K a set IMO. Even Fusion recently raised their prices..  14 bolt/60 is now 19K and their absolute cheapest offering in the 60/60 is now 18K.

I liked the 72” width too. Maybe I’m putting too much weight on it, but the lower scrub radius inherent with wheels with more backspacing seems appealing to me. 

As for spending $18-20k on axles, I can afford it but I know I would not do it. Too many other financial priorities right now. Besides, the ability to continue to say I’ve done everything on my Jeep with my own hands has some appeal, even if it means a lot of weekends devoted to the project. I enjoy the challenge and learning new things. But it has been a huge time suck. 

For you, consider whether you are equipped and willing to do the work to get those axles under your Jeep and functioning. If you’re paying someone else $125 an hour to do it for you, the overall cost could quickly escalate depending on what all needs to be done. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree, 70 -72 I feel is the perfect width. My UD are 69 wide and with a 3.5 BS wheel I still rub a little. I am glad I did not go DT with 68.5 wide because it would have been worst. 70 inch on a 4.25/4.50 gets your scrub radius pretty much perfect from what I have been reading. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Did some checking around on axles today and talked to a few different manufacturers and suppliers.

Looked into Currie’s extreme 60’s, Dana UD60’s, Dstracs 60/70 (Not Dynatrac), and WCGS 60/60 and 60/14. WCGS is the builder for Fusions axles for those that didn't know.  (I didn't know this either) Buying direct from them seems to be considerably cheaper than buying from Fusion.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Good info. I plan to call Currie tomorrow and get a price and eta for the set I want to order. I am tossing around 70 for rear but feel the 60 is just fine. I want to see the price difference and if 40 spline are harder to come by if needed. 

• Thumbs Up 1
2 hours ago, AxK said:

Good info. I plan to call Currie tomorrow and get a price and eta for the set I want to order. I am tossing around 70 for rear but feel the 60 is just fine. I want to see the price difference and if 40 spline are harder to come by if needed. 

These are the best prices I’ve come up with so far:

Dana UD60’s Eaton E lockers 69WMS; we all know the specs (via Rwkhaus)16,000 delivered
Currie Extreme 60’s Eaton E lockers 35/35sp 70 WMS (Via Northridge) 16,900 delivered
DStrac 70/60HP 40/35sp air lockers/pump and RPM 2.5T steering (Direct) 13,750 delivered
WCGS 60/60 35/35sp Eaton E lockers 72WMS (Direct) ~14K delivered (Still working exact pricing)
WCGS 14/60 40/35sp ARB/Eaton 70WMS full shave ~15K (Direct) (Still working on exact pricing and seeing if they sell 72WMS direct yet etc.)
I’ll be working with WCGS more tomorrow to get more accurate numbers. Right now they have my most attention, as they’ve obviously been doing well selling under the Fusion name. 

7 hours ago, Crawl2Camp said:

Dana UD60’s Eaton E lockers 69WMS; we all know the specs (via Rwkhaus)16,000 delivered
Currie Extreme 60’s Eaton E lockers 35/35sp 70 WMS (Via Northridge) 16,900 delivered
DStrac 70/60HP 40/35sp air lockers/pump and RPM 2.5T steering (Direct) 13,750 delivered
WCGS 60/60 35/35sp Eaton E lockers 72WMS (Direct) ~14K delivered (Still working exact pricing)
WCGS 14/60 40/35sp ARB/Eaton 70WMS full shave ~15K (Direct) (Still working on exact pricing and seeing if they sell 72WMS direct yet etc.)
I’ll be working with WCGS more tomorrow to get more accurate numbers. Right now they have my most attention, as they’ve obviously been doing well selling under the Fusion name. 

So WCGS and Fusion are same company?

1 hour ago, AxK said:

So WCGS and Fusion are same company?

I read somewhere that they are separate companies but Fusion gets its castings from ECGS and they assemble the axles in adjoining facilities. Unverified internet rumors …. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

3 hours ago, fiend said:

I read somewhere that they are separate companies but Fusion gets its castings from ECGS and they assemble the axles in adjoining facilities. Unverified internet rumors …. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Being at home all day gives me the chance to do some investigating. LOL

ECGS has a complete manufacturing, assembly and service center, ranging from full axle manufacture to service and installation.  They also stock a ton of individual parts.  
ECGS has a 112K sqft facility.  There’s photos of it on instagram etc. 

Fusion has a 2160 sqft facility with a single loading dock door.   🤪
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/mi/holland/117-fifth-avenue-20/pid_18932479/

3B8CF9F4-F518-4A1E-B4F9-1F160E73F167.jpeg

84641B99-3BD9-428B-8D38-89970914FBFF.jpeg

0BF4EB3C-A5F8-4D04-B551-52ABCDBF18ED.jpeg

7BFA5D6F-888B-4F98-8F60-DBD2B987EE29.jpeg

EBA4990E-8EEC-43A0-9CFC-565051BB69CE.jpeg

21C570C9-2E3A-4FA0-878C-A97CDF69D3A0.jpeg

802B8882-7BEF-4F45-AA5C-16383B985237.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
13 hours ago, Crawl2Camp said:

The question is which one doesn’t charge the $1500 or so in CA sales tax.

1 hour ago, fiend said:

The question is which one doesn’t charge the $1500 or so in CA sales tax.

Those are all to my door via lift gate prices. (So either including tax or not if they don't charge it) 
I can let you know which one or two have tax included, but it’s pretty evident. 😝

• Thumbs Up 1
21 hours ago, Crawl2Camp said:

Did you put the code in for NR?. I would ask Currie to match that price and just drive down to Corona and pick them up and save more on shipping. I know when I did my PR44 picking up local was like a 250 savings.