Free shock tip!

Make sure to semi-regularly check your shock pressures! Of the last 5 sets of Jeep coil-overs I have rebuilt I think maybe 2 were not cavitated badly. A lot of them were not put together with all the air bled out of the hydraulic side which made the cavitation even worse!

On a coil-over shock I suggest no less than 200psi with the suspension drooped out. That will help prevent cavitation from happening. If you are someone who drives hard through the bumps, you may want to bump it up to between 225 and 250.

Also, just because someone sells a lot of shocks, that doesn’t necessarily mean they know how to work on them. The shocks that had the most air on the oil side were put together by one of the “big shops”.

The first pic below is of a shock that had an extreme cavitation problem. Most likely from not being ran with proper psi. When the piston comes out, the oil should not start to erupt and continue to just flow foam out by itself.

The second pic is of a shock that was put together without bleeding all the air out properly. The oil level would be much closer to the snap ring groove if done correctly.

28CFAC2A-28EE-4BDF-8B48-348A55605B11.jpeg

50A10CCB-4D6E-4937-A911-E38924C5B467.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
1 hour ago, Jdofmemi said:

I can only imagine how much that will affect the performance of them. 

Can't wait to see the train wreck the current ones on Vengeance are. 🥴

Pretty sure those are “just close your eyes, everything’s fine”

• Haha 1
On 6/6/2023 at 12:48 PM, Nice Little Jeep said:

OK so I’m running my coilovers now at 200 psi. My understanding; if I tell you that I’m running them at 200 psi you can re-valve the coilover to work better at 150 psi. Looking for your thoughts.

I would not run 2" single shocks at anything less than 200. The extra pressure is helping the oil more than anything else.  We can revalve it for many different gains though depending on what you are looking for. But, I still wouldnt be telling you to run 150 psi.

Happy to help, just let me know.

• Thumbs Up 2
On 4/17/2022 at 3:06 PM, Redline said:

Make sure to semi-regularly check your shock pressures! Of the last 5 sets of Jeep coil-overs I have rebuilt I think maybe 2 were not cavitated badly. A lot of them were not put together with all the air bled out of the hydraulic side which made the cavitation even worse!

On a coil-over shock I suggest no less than 200psi with the suspension drooped out. That will help prevent cavitation from happening. If you are someone who drives hard through the bumps, you may want to bump it up to between 225 and 250.

Also, just because someone sells a lot of shocks, that doesn’t necessarily mean they know how to work on them. The shocks that had the most air on the oil side were put together by one of the “big shops”.

The first pic below is of a shock that had an extreme cavitation problem. Most likely from not being ran with proper psi. When the piston comes out, the oil should not start to erupt and continue to just flow foam out by itself.

The second pic is of a shock that was put together without bleeding all the air out properly. The oil level would be much closer to the snap ring groove if done correctly.

28CFAC2A-28EE-4BDF-8B48-348A55605B11.jpeg

50A10CCB-4D6E-4937-A911-E38924C5B467.jpeg

What is the valving you recommend for the EVO coil-overs?