Steering joint and boot alternative?

I assume you already solved your issue…but if youre asking how to switch to heims youd have to drill out the pitman arm to the bolt size you would run (recommend 3/4”) then get heims and high misaligment spacers (check out barnes 4wd). I had to go with a 7/8” heim with spacers that reduce down to 3/4” inorder to get enough misalignment as to not bind and either break spacers or loosen bolts.

16 hours ago, Fury22 said:

I assume you already solved your issue…but if youre asking how to switch to heims youd have to drill out the pitman arm to the bolt size you would run (recommend 3/4”) then get heims and high misaligment spacers (check out barnes 4wd). I had to go with a 7/8” heim with spacers that reduce down to 3/4” inorder to get enough misalignment as to not bind and either break spacers or loosen bolts.

Nope LOL. Do you have some pictures you can post. I am tired of blowing out a boot evey big trip.

Im not home so these are the only pics I have. One is from my high steer arm and the other is a friends currie setup at the pitman arm. Originally i had the pitman arm and high steer arm drilled out to 3/4” and bought 3/4” heims with 7/8” shanks for my custom made aluminum links. They got 3/4” high misalignment spacers which turned out not to be enough as i was binding at full articulation and loosening the bolts. So i had to get 7/8” heims with 7/8” shanks and 7/8” to 3/4” high misaligment spacers. So instead of the 3/4” ontop of 3/4”, the 7/8” reduces to 3/4 and slides into the heim to step down the diameter for the bolt. This in effect gives you a couple more degrees of misalignment which is what i needed.

so if your looking to just do one end youll have to fidure out the shank diameter of the drag link end and get the equivalent for the heim. And i would recommend what i did with the 7/8”-7/8” heim with 7/8” to 3/4” high misalignment spacer, with one of them being a saftey spacer, which has a large diameter cone to prevent the heim from sliding off if it were to break. Check out barnes 4x4 and youll see all the parts youd need. 

I originally only drilled the pitman arm to 5/8 but that turned out to be to big for the big bore arm as it didnt completely reem the hole out so i had a 5/8” bolt and it had a little bit of play and was able to wallow itself loose over time.  Sorry for long winded answer haha

175BFC2F-DB2A-4A5B-8DEF-757FC6BEC0FA.jpeg

79B2D40E-CF5C-4D60-8864-0AA36EFA096A.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
2 hours ago, Fury22 said:

Im not home so these are the only pics I have. One is from my high steer arm and the other is a friends currie setup at the pitman arm. Originally i had the pitman arm and high steer arm drilled out to 3/4” and bought 3/4” heims with 7/8” shanks for my custom made aluminum links. They got 3/4” high misalignment spacers which turned out not to be enough as i was binding at full articulation and loosening the bolts. So i had to get 7/8” heims with 7/8” shanks and 7/8” to 3/4” high misaligment spacers. So instead of the 3/4” ontop of 3/4”, the 7/8” reduces to 3/4 and slides into the heim to step down the diameter for the bolt. This in effect gives you a couple more degrees of misalignment which is what i needed.

so if your looking to just do one end youll have to fidure out the shank diameter of the drag link end and get the equivalent for the heim. And i would recommend what i did with the 7/8”-7/8” heim with 7/8” to 3/4” high misalignment spacer, with one of them being a saftey spacer, which has a large diameter cone to prevent the heim from sliding off if it were to break. Check out barnes 4x4 and youll see all the parts youd need. 

I originally only drilled the pitman arm to 5/8 but that turned out to be to big for the big bore arm as it didnt completely reem the hole out so i had a 5/8” bolt and it had a little bit of play and was able to wallow itself loose over time.  Sorry for long winded answer haha

175BFC2F-DB2A-4A5B-8DEF-757FC6BEC0FA.jpeg

79B2D40E-CF5C-4D60-8864-0AA36EFA096A.jpeg

You might consider some safety washers on those heims. 

https://www.tmrcustoms.com/products/stainless-steel-safety-washers

• Thanks 1

I really may be off my mark but those bushings aren’t supposed to be used for the drag link.   They limit the rotational movement under flex.   They are designed to help keep the tie rod level.  Just might want to make sure it isn’t limiting your movement.   

• Thumbs Up 2
On 10/18/2022 at 8:15 AM, Weebz said:

I really may be off my mark but those bushings aren’t supposed to be used for the drag link.   They limit the rotational movement under flex.   They are designed to help keep the tie rod level.  Just might want to make sure it isn’t limiting your movement.   

That's how I understand it as well.

On 10/18/2022 at 8:15 AM, Weebz said:

image.thumb.jpeg.73e4e641d4566b4f20d2f477e02d18ee.jpeg

you are probably right, but they work great on both 😁 sometimes I sand against the grain. 🤣😂