Anybody have a bead breaker?

I'm going to be switching out tires in the next week or two, but rather than spending a couple hours at work doing it I thought about doing it at home where I could crack a beer or take a nap between mounting.  Anyone have one they ordered online that they recommend?  

I ordered one a few weeks ago but it was delayed in shipping so I returned it without use.  We tried driving over the tire with my friends jeep but that was a no go. (Those 40” Nitto beads were locked on that rear bead!)  We couldn’t believe that it didn't work.  What worked well was a hi lift jack under his front bumper with the tire underneath.  Popped all four beads with some simple green on them without any problems.   

Interested to see if someone has a good bead breaker that could make it even easier and safer. (Hi-lifts are always a bit sketch IMO)

• Thanks 2
28 minutes ago, Crawl2Camp said:

I ordered one a few weeks ago but it was delayed in shipping so I returned it without use.  We tried driving over the tire with my friends jeep but that was a no go. (Those 40” Nitto beads were locked on that rear bead!)  We couldn’t believe that it didn't work.  What worked well was a hi lift jack under his front bumper with the tire underneath.  Popped all four beads with some simple green on them without any problems.   

Interested to see if someone has a good bead breaker that could make it even easier and safer. (Hi-lifts are always a bit sketch IMO)

The best and easiest way I found is a hijack lift. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I bought one of the bead breakers, but have always been successful with a High Lift. It only takes a minute or two, and I usually have to do 3 tries at it, moving the jack a little bit each time. 

I think it was Byron's bead breaker Jeff and I used in AZ to dismount the tires Jeff bought. It worked good. Just remember to lube the threads a bit so they don't gall. 

• Thanks 1

That was Byron’s.   Hi lift works but all my wheels are in my basement.   I do t want to push them all back up the hill.  Dismount them and wheel them back down to work on them.   Hell if a lot nicer to sit in the comfort of my basement then out in the cold.  

8 hours ago, Weebz said:

That was Byron’s.   Hi lift works but all my wheels are in my basement.   I do t want to push them all back up the hill.  Dismount them and wheel them back down to work on them.   Hell if a lot nicer to sit in the comfort of my basement then out in the cold.  

Lol, those are a bitch pushing back up the stairs in the Spring...

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Weebz said:

I see. 

I bought one like it on Amazon. Probably the way to go. 

I looked at the Maddox bead breaker at Harbor freight & similar on Amazon.  I passed because I didn't see a way to get it started without using a jack to get it set on my wheels.  I ended up using a high lift and crow bar.

Could you use a jack with a 2x4 against a ceiling joist?

That's the same design as the ones I looked at.  What wheels do you have?  My atx slabs have a thick squared off rim edge & the tire profile was flush with the rim with no room to get it started.  I was skeptical that the hook on the breaker would be able to pull the wedge foot in tight without a lot of hammering & gouging the wheel.

Good to hear it worked for you.

1 hour ago, Dave said:

That's the same design as the ones I looked at.  What wheels do you have?  My atx slabs have a thick squared off rim edge & the tire profile was flush with the rim with no room to get it started.  I was skeptical that the hook on the breaker would be able to pull the wedge foot in tight without a lot of hammering & gouging the wheel.

Good to hear it worked for you.

I have KMC Machetes.  Same flush in the back.  Couple of whacks with a dead blow on the sidewall and it was able to slide in.  IIRC correctly I think I threw a towel on top of a plastic bucket and then put the face of the wheel on it so gravity helped too.

Thanks all. High lift works fine and have done it many times.  Having used this tool with Jerry while in AZ I can confidently say it’s much easier.  Having three sets of bead locks now I’m inclined to make my life easier for a few hundred bucks.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
On 1/3/2024 at 2:56 PM, Weebz said:

Thanks all. High lift works fine and have done it many times.  Having used this tool with Jerry while in AZ I can confidently say it’s much easier.  Having three sets of bead locks now I’m inclined to make my life easier for a few hundred bucks.  

I bought the Amazon knock off for 50ish dollars, and it seemed to work just as good. 

Be sure to use some lube on the threads, or they will gall up with heavy use. 

54 minutes ago, Jdofmemi said:

I bought the Amazon knock off for 50ish dollars, and it seemed to work just as good. 

Be sure to use some lube on the threads, or they will gall up with heavy use. 

Do you have a make or model?    There are multiples I e seen and not sure which one you are referencing