Make sure your shop has at least one Fire Extinguisher

So, with the talk of tools and shop equipment, one thing to never overlook is a good fire extinguisher. 

I have probably 8 or 10 scattered around my garage. 

I was in today welding the frame brackets on Vengeance. 

I looked out in the driveway at my Ram, parked there well away from the action, and seen flames🔥inside the rear seat area 😱

I raced to the nearest fire extinguisher, then to the truck, opened the rear door and was able to put the fire out before it spread too far. 

30 seconds to one minute later and the entire interior would have been fully engulfed. 

I was able to put it out with minimal damage, die to being prepared and being able to keep a cool head in the face of potential tragedy. 

You never know when shit will go terribly wrong, so it is always best to be prepared. 

I am not sure how the fire started, the only potential culprits are 3 Milwaukee batteries that were in the area, but there is no evidence of the fire starting with them. They are undamaged, except for some melted plastic that dropped on them from the case of my first aid kit that dropped onto one of them. 

When the melted plastic was brushed off, the case was undamaged. 

IMG20221015103614.jpg

IMG20221015105213.jpg

IMG20221015105216.jpg

• Sad 4

That's crazy.  Good thing you were prepared.

When I was in scouts we learned how to start a fire with D cell flashlight batteries and steel wool.  Those Milwaukee batteries pack a lot more energy - maybe something got across the terminals?

So, further investigation of the fire:

There is a burn pattern in the carpet/floor mat right where the 12 amp battery was setting.

This would lead me to think the battery overheated and started it.

On the other hand, the battery itself shows zero signs of overheating, it is still charged, and tests good in tools.

These two facts seem to be in opposition to each other.

I'm still wondering what the hell happened.

IMG20221016124909.jpg

IMG20221016124904.jpg

IMG20221016121644.jpg

• Confused 2

Was there anything conductive in there?  The 1st pic the orange with silver stripe (safety vest?), Maybe has a metallic coating?  I'd bet something got across the terminals rather than an internal short, and the bottom liner of the seat is what caught.

2 minutes ago, Jdofmemi said:

I seen a YouTube video of a fire blanket that fire departments can get to cover the whole car with🤣

I think I saw that one.  I don't know about lithium, but some minerals explode when introduced to water.  Sodium, I think.  High school chemistry was a long time ago ... 🤣