Coilovers shocks spring configuration

6 minutes ago, KevinG said:

Dude, awesome info.  I know things are probably super busy for you so no rush.  Would you mind expanding a little on #2?  Is the 10" over 14" because the rings only thread so far down the body?

Yes, but wait there more.

On 11/28/2022 at 10:45 AM, KevinG said:

Dude, awesome info.  I know things are probably super busy for you so no rush.  Would you mind expanding a little on #2?  Is the 10" over 14" because the rings only thread so far down the body?

Short answer… yes. There is very little tune ability for the secondaries when the cancel out ring is so far down. 
With the 12s there isn’t enough wheel travel between cancel outs engaging and bump stops. That prevents some ability of progressive bottom control to work. When bump stops and secondary spring rate kicks in basically at the same time it makes spike in resistance vs ramp. 

• Thumbs Up 2
On 10/17/2022 at 1:08 PM, Nice Little Jeep said:

That’s good stuff, going through the calculations process, I’ve come up with the following:

note: I’m looking at changing that Bottom front Springs to a 14” so I have adjustment in the transfer ring, right now I have no adjustment.

I owe you an apology.  I was just going back through this thread and I missed that you had said that you were going to run 14" on the lower in the front, I had thought you meant back...  Sorry man.

On 12/12/2022 at 11:38 AM, KevinG said:

I owe you an apology.  I was just going back through this thread and I missed that you had said that you were going to run 14" on the lower in the front, I had thought you meant back...  Sorry man.

I speak out loud a lot, so I can get more information from all of you. All good information thank you 

On 12/12/2022 at 10:19 AM, KevinG said:

Totally makes sense.  Probably a stupid question, but if I'm happy with the overall height would I keep the spring weight the same?

Depends on the preload you have, if you don’t have any, then lighter rate, if you have a bunch, then stiffer rate. 

• Like 1