Seats. To recover or replace, that is the question

Dear Abby,

Alright, I know some of you have gone down this road and realize this is kind of a rabbit hole.  I'm just seeing if anyone has advice that pushes me one way or another.

I have been cleaning and doing a few small things since we got back, but mostly been working my ass off moving a bunch of cars.  I started cleaning the interior and it's getting to the point where my driver's seat is pretty worn out and ripping at the seams.  The foam is a little broken down too.  

In looking at recovering it, we have a guy that does upholstery work here who recommended a company that has replacement cloth or leather and he would install it and bolster up the foam for a case of beer.  It looks like I would be in somewhere around $1000-$1300 depending on material that I want.  He seems to do good work and it can't be worse than what it is now.

Other option:  I have been on the PRP site a few times in the last few weeks.  My eyes are on the Enduro Elite or the Enduro recliner.  Seems like they would be easy enough for entry and exit for daily,  I sat in Jeff's PRP's in Utah and was comfortable.  I'm definitely looking at something with a little less bolstering.  I also am considering the Mastercrafts (have had a chance to sit in the exact model I would buy.)

Pros and cons:

Recover: cheaper, know what i have, no extra headaches.  On the downside it's just exactly like what I have right now.

PRP:  Really comfortable.  Ability to run a harness when I ever decide that I'm done driving this thing so much, but can run normal belt until then.  Can move to just one bucket in the back or none if the mood strikes.

Cons:  definitely more money, have to figure out airbag and seatbelt light canceling (lights on the dash piss me right off).   

Sincerely

Seatless in Seattle.

PRP without a doubt. I wouldn't even consider fixing the stock.

PRP has a lot of different options. They have a few options that have less bolstering and have the ability to switch out the seat pad which allows you to daily drive better. Its more comfortable but still have that security while on the trail.

Check out MasterCraft as well for other options.

• Thumbs Up 1

For a DD the seats like Jeff has are a pain in the ass. I have the same Comp pro's. On the trail - fantastic, but getting in & out gets to be trying. Granted, they're comfortable as hell, but you lose the stock belts. With the 4 point,  buckling and unbuckling gets to be annoying and you're held tight in your set. You have to unbuckle to reach across to grab anything. 

For a DD I'd highly suggest the Enduro Elite Recliner

• Thumbs Up 2
9 hours ago, Gruff said:

For a DD the seats like Jeff has are a pain in the ass. I have the same Comp pro's. On the trail - fantastic, but getting in & out gets to be trying. Granted, they're comfortable as hell, but you lose the stock belts. With the 4 point,  buckling and unbuckling gets to be annoying and you're held tight in your set. You have to unbuckle to reach across to grab anything. 

For a DD I'd highly suggest the Enduro Elite Recliner

This…would t give up my seats now for anything but they have limitations.   I have grown accustomed to my harness but little things like changing layers of clothes messes them up because adjusting isn’t all that easy.    

for you, I would do the Enduro Elite.   Extremely comfortable seat, better hold in power and still fits your daily need.   

• Thumbs Up 2

My feeling is the same as Jeff and Jerry said above.

I loved my factory seats in the White Jeep, until I got Vengeance. The first day I didn't really like the seats in Vengeance, but by the end of day 2, I decided that I now hate the stock seats, no questions asked. 

I would spend zero time or effort on the factory seats. 

Also, you can put the harnesses in, and still leave the regular seat belts for casual driving. That's what I did. 

• Thumbs Up 1
1 hour ago, Jdofmemi said:

My feeling is the same as Jeff and Jerry said above.

I loved my factory seats in the White Jeep, until I got Vengeance. The first day I didn't really like the seats in Vengeance, but by the end of day 2, I decided that I now hate the stock seats, no questions asked. 

I would spend zero time or effort on the factory seats. 

Also, you can put the harnesses in, and still leave the regular seat belts for casual driving. That's what I did. 

I’m going to attempt to install my stock belts over winter & see how they work

• Like 1