Oil Pressure

I know…very exciting asking about oil pressure.   Riddle me this, why at idle is my oil pressure showing as anywhere from 80 to 105 psi (yes you read that correctly) and at 3K rpm 55 psi.   

Do for some context, had some issues in Sand Hollow with a dipstick tube(it somehow cracked at the housing ), oil pressure warning lights, suddenly excessive smoke at steep angles I never had before.  Drives fine though.   Wild ass guess how much oil is actually in the engine given I don’t have a dipstick now and merely a bolt RTV’d into the block.   

little concerned to drive it with pressure being all wonky.  Just oil pressure sensor switch going bad?   No codes.  Nothing.  

EB02F028-6F34-4719-966B-EDFF4D07B0F0.jpeg

206E671D-CAFA-410A-A296-ED522E89C223.jpeg

Your pressures noted seem normal, as the JK has a dual pressure oil pump.  It is at high pressure when the engine is cold and at high RPM/full throttle etc.  Lower pressure cruising and idle when engine is warm.  I remember tripping out about it in 2014 when I got my Jeep.    

I will take a look at mine when it is cold and report back.  I have never looked so I have no idea.

My warm high idle is 45-55.  Once it idles down to the normal RPM it is 29-32.

If I rev it up to 3k I am at 60-65.  I did see 87 at one point.

Have you fixed the plug, drained the oil and made sure you have the right amount in there since we were constantly adding oil throughout the last trip?

To me, 62 sounds a little high, but being that it's cold and who knows how much oil you have in there could be the issue.

2 hours ago, AJK said:

Have you fixed the plug, drained the oil and made sure you have the right amount in there since we were constantly adding oil throughout the last trip?

To me, 62 sounds a little high, but being that it's cold and who knows how much oil you have in there could be the issue.

Let’s not get all crazy and pretend I’m motivated.     Lol.  The pressures weren’t like that on the trip though post the incident so it seems off 

7 minutes ago, BHaner said:

Cold (55°) at high idle I am 75-85.  Driving down the driveway I did see over 90 for a bit.  Then as I got on the road it went down to 60, then back up to 75-85 until I got up to temp.

That sounds pretty normal to me. 

Also, cold pressure can vary depending on what oil you have in it, as well as the temperature 

On a tangent, I once had the oil filter split open on my car back in Colorado when I drove off one morning in -40 temperature. 

I seen the oil streak in the mirror and got it shut off before it ran out of oil. 

I can't remember what the oil was, but probably 10W-30 dino oil. 

The filter was a Purolator, and I've never used one since. 

4 minutes ago, Jdofmemi said:

That sounds pretty normal to me. 

Also, cold pressure can vary depending on what oil you have in it, as well as the temperature 

Yep.  I am willing to bet it is higher PSI at lower temps.  Over 100 PSI wouldn't shock me.

I am running 5w-20 Royal Purple.