Cage Discussion

suicideking

I'm looking into get a cage installed. I called Genright for an estimate. For all the options below, it would run $5300 in parts.

Aluminum roof - Not sure if I want to do this. Might do this and just get a wind jammer to use instead of a back window. Then I'd run the half door uppers and no top. I will still run the OEM top in the winter. I should check how much this weighs though.

Other options included:
Harness bar kit
X Bar behind the seat
Dash V bar
C-Pillar bar - Said they can make this removable if I need to remove it for storage.

If you've had this cage or another installed, let me know what you ended up paying in labor.

I realize most here don't have a TJ. If you have a cage, which one did you go with? I've also heard some recommend a custom cage. Any decent places in Socal to get a custom cage done?

Damn!

That price sounds high. 

The 4 door cage, with all the options except the roof was about $3,100, give or take. 

I got the roof too, but don't remember how much it was, as it was mixed in with the whole Elite package. 

I'm not sure why the LJ would be so much more, unless that is the price including welding. Check back and see if that is the price you got. 

For a fabricated cage, I've heard good things about the Trailwize guy on Instagram. He builds some nice looking cages. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My experience is the Hardrock works but not great.

Posion Syder sport cage is alot better and ties into the floor.

Working on the Genright Cage with Jerry, it was very apparent they cross the T's and dot the I's with their cage. Yeah its an investment, but you know your getting a quality product with them that looks great. That's my 2 cents.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can you still get the complete Poison Spyder welded cages for the LJ?  These use to run around 2K out the door and were pretty nice IMO.  
Your price is obviously welded and installed for the Genright; thats exactly the same price I was quoted for my JKU late last year from All Terrain Garage in Rialto.

As Jerry said above, Trailwize is making a lot of really nice custom cages as seen on Instagram.  If you need his contact info let me know.  

• Thumbs Up 1
21 hours ago, suicideking said:

I'm looking into get a cage installed. I called Genright for an estimate. For all the options below, it would run $5300 in parts.

Aluminum roof - Not sure if I want to do this. Might do this and just get a wind jammer to use instead of a back window. Then I'd run the half door uppers and no top. I will still run the OEM top in the winter. I should check how much this weighs though.

Other options included:
Harness bar kit
X Bar behind the seat
Dash V bar
C-Pillar bar - Said they can make this removable if I need to remove it for storage.

If you've had this cage or another installed, let me know what you ended up paying in labor.

I realize most here don't have a TJ. If you have a cage, which one did you go with? I've also heard some recommend a custom cage. Any decent places in Socal to get a custom cage done?

$5300 in parts only?  Gotta figure another $2k or so for labor, depending on how much prep work you do yourself.  A full cage would be cool, but that's a lot of dough.

Yeah, the price does seem really high. This was all from the Genright sales rep. After talking with him, I priced it on their website and it wasn't close to that. His price was just parts too. 

Regarding installation, when I asked if they will install it, he said "yes and no." There's currently an 18 month wait. He recommended Brothers 4X4. I've never been there, but have heard good things from some that have. 

Called Brothers and the guy that answered said parts are usually closer to $3K, but wanted me to 'stop by' and talk to the owner. I told him I'd rather just talk over the phone. I'm sure they've seen an LJ before. Let me know if anyone has anything good or bad to say about them.

I looked at the Trailwize pics on Instagram. Those do look pretty nice! Looks like they're over 5 hours away though and I don't have a trailer. So not sure that would work out. 

Yeah $5300 is definitely a lot of dough.  Let me ask my buddy Jason with the LJ and see what he says, as he know a lot of LJ guys.  He went Genright and put it in himself, but Tony got all pissed at him because he padded the cage.  (He has kids and a wife he wheels with on occasion)

I found two (2) poison spyder JK sport cages for sale that i’m going to go look at this week. (One 2 door and one 4 door)  Guys only asking $500 each and the 4 door version is already powder coated. 

• Thumbs Up 1
28 minutes ago, Crawl2Camp said:

Yeah $5300 is definitely a lot of dough.  Let me ask my buddy Jason with the LJ and see what he says, as he know a lot of LJ guys.  He went Genright and put it in himself, but Tony got all pissed at him because he padded the cage.  (He has kids and a wife he wheels with on occasion)

I found two (2) poison spyder JK sport cages for sale that i’m going to go look at this week. (One 2 door and one 4 door)  Guys only asking $500 each and the 4 door version is already powder coated. 

That's a steal for $500. 

I'm probably not going with Poison Spider because they're owned by transamerican and that just turns me off. Don't think I'd be able to pass up a deal like that though. 

11 minutes ago, suicideking said:

That's a steal for $500. 

I'm probably not going with Poison Spider because they're owned by transamerican and that just turns me off. Don't think I'd be able to pass up a deal like that though. 

Yeah I figured for now it would “work”, adding that front window frame support the JK needs..  He’s had them for sale for months so I should be able to get one for 3-4 hundred.
If I ever feel where I want/need to go to a full all out setup, I’ll have a custom one made ala Trailwize etc..  Right now though I'm trying to keep the weight off of my obese 4 door. 

Check out OC-Cageworks also.  He’s closer than trailwize and does some interesting stuff. 🤙

• Thumbs Up 1
3 hours ago, suicideking said:

Yeah, the price does seem really high. This was all from the Genright sales rep. After talking with him, I priced it on their website and it wasn't close to that. His price was just parts too. 

Regarding installation, when I asked if they will install it, he said "yes and no." There's currently an 18 month wait. He recommended Brothers 4X4. I've never been there, but have heard good things from some that have. 

Called Brothers and the guy that answered said parts are usually closer to $3K, but wanted me to 'stop by' and talk to the owner. I told him I'd rather just talk over the phone. I'm sure they've seen an LJ before. Let me know if anyone has anything good or bad to say about them.

Maybe the $5300 is the total price including installation? That would make more sense. 

My only experience with Brothers is I went out there one time because they had a rear door the same color as mine. One of mine got damaged and so I needed a new door shell and wanted to avoid the expense of painting. I eyeballed their shop and chatted with one guy there. They seemed to have 8-10 people working there. I can’t speak to their technical skills, including welding. They do have an IG page that you might want to check out. It shows some of their projects. 

1 hour ago, Crawl2Camp said:

Yeah I figured for now it would “work”, adding that front window frame support the JK needs..  He’s had them for sale for months so I should be able to get one for 3-4 hundred.
If I ever feel where I want/need to go to a full all out setup, I’ll have a custom one made ala Trailwize etc..  Right now though I'm trying to keep the weight off of my obese 4 door. 

Check out OC-Cageworks also.  He’s closer than trailwize and does some interesting stuff. 🤙

Having seen those “sport” cages, including my Rock Hard cage, I’m not sure they do a whole lot except add weight. If you are serious about wanting to increase safety, a full cage would be much better. But even then, I see a real risk of cracking your skull on the bars. So padding and a five point harness are also in order.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I currently have the Poison Spider cage in Vengeance. 

It goes all the way to the floor at the A pillar, do it seems better that the Rock Hard, IMO. 

That said, after leaning against a rock or two, and one time needing to be pulled away from one by the cage, it flexed a lot 😱.

For a flop or light roll it would be an improvement over stock, but it is nothing I feel comfortable with on a hard roll. 

Better than stock is all I would give it. 

Mine will be for sale soon, as I have a GenRight 4 door cage that will be modified for the 2 door. That way I get the fast back look. 

They won't sell one that way for liability reasons, because it will not protect anyone in the back seat. 

Since I don't have, nor ever will have a back seat, it's not a problem for me. 

Here is what I am going for

Screenshot_2023-03-11-17-26-50-00_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-03-11-17-26-24-28_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-03-11-17-26-13-01_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
16 hours ago, fiend said:

Having seen those “sport” cages, including my Rock Hard cage, I’m not sure they do a whole lot except add weight. If you are serious about wanting to increase safety, a full cage would be much better. But even then, I see a real risk of cracking your skull on the bars. So padding and a five point harness are also in order.  

Yeah after hearing Jerry’s response and then yours, I see no point in adding one of those sport cages.  Later on I’ll just have everything ripped out and a complete custom cage designed and installed. 

18 hours ago, Jdofmemi said:

I currently have the Poison Spider cage in Vengeance. 

It goes all the way to the floor at the A pillar, do it seems better that the Rock Hard, IMO. 

That said, after leaning against a rock or two, and one time needing to be pulled away from one by the cage, it flexed a lot 😱.

For a flop or light roll it would be an improvement over stock, but it is nothing I feel comfortable with on a hard roll. 

Better than stock is all I would give it. 

Mine will be for sale soon, as I have a GenRight 4 door cage that will be modified for the 2 door. That way I get the fast back look. 

They won't sell one that way for liability reasons, because it will not protect anyone in the back seat. 

Since I don't have, nor ever will have a back seat, it's not a problem for me. 

Here is what I am going for

Screenshot_2023-03-11-17-26-50-00_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-03-11-17-26-24-28_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-03-11-17-26-13-01_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I really like that look, might do something similar. My problem is I do have 3 kids and want them to be able to ride with me. Though the reality is they never want to go anyway because they would be away from video games for too long. It's been probably two years since I had anyone in the backseat, and that was because my wife made them go. Currently not running a back seat. 

On 3/10/2023 at 5:02 PM, suicideking said:

Other options included:
Harness bar kit
X Bar behind the seat
Dash V bar

That quote sounds high…. I will reach out today and get you a accurate estimate/price. 

• Thumbs Up 2