Cage Discussion

suicideking

All very good points.  Rick, I tried to find a few photos of my friends LJ with the padded up Genright cage.  He had similar concern with his wife and kids and chose to go that route.  The TJ/LJ definitely needs better rollover protection; I’ve seen photos of how bad the factory design was/ (It’s definitely not a JL in that category)

• Thumbs Up 2

I did message Trailwize and ask if he could do an cage out of all tube and no stanchions, he said he could. I also found a cage builder in WA that does what Blaine suggests: All tubes and the front goes behind the dash. So I might send Trailwize the picture of how that was done and see if he can replicate it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
1 hour ago, MIOffroadCustoms said:

Safety over everything, nothing worse then standing over your mangled friend wondering how to get them to safety. With the wheeling we get into a stock cage is only going to do so much. I much rather know that the passenger compartment will retain its shape/space when an accident happens. Because it will happen eventually it’s just a matter of when.

IMHO It’s dumb to try to talk someone outta getting a cage. I will not ride in a rig without one, helmet or not. (I always have one strapped to my cage)

https://axeloffroad.com/

To be clear, he's not trying to talk me (or anyone) out of getting a cage. Just that if you go down that road, you do it correctly (no stanchions) and are always wearing a helmet. Not just high risk situations, always. He just doesn't think most of the cages are safe and will present more danger than they will help. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for linking that article above with Blaine’s views.  One of Blaine’s better controlled responses.  He does care; he’s just a bit of an odd fellow like me and you and everyone else in our own special ways.  So have you figured anything out Rick?  

Seems I stumbled onto a nice custom cage deal looking into yours; talked to the wife this morning and she said go for it.  Jeep goes into the shop the end of April for the works. 

• Thumbs Up 2
44 minutes ago, Crawl2Camp said:

Thanks for linking that article above with Blaine’s views.  One of Blaine’s better controlled responses.  He does care; he’s just a bit of an odd fellow like me and you and everyone else in our own special ways.  So have you figured anything out Rick?  

Seems I stumbled onto a nice custom cage deal looking into yours; talked to the wife this morning and she said go for it.  Jeep goes into the shop the end of April for the works. 

What cage is the one above? 

I did message Trailwize a few times. After saying he could do one out of all tube and no stanchions, I sent him a picture of one. He then recanted and said he wouldn't do one out of all tube and doesn't want to go through the dash. Pic I sent him:

CageFront.thumb.png.83ac3289adc5e17b9856dc2dce8d93ca.png

I sent the same pic and request to OC Cageworks, have not received a response yet, but doubt he would agree. 

There's a company that does the cage like above in WA, but yeah, not wanting to drive 19 hours one way for this. So at this point, unless I can find someone that will do all tube and go through the dash like above, I'm probably going to pass on the cage and go with the seats and bars behind the seats for the harnesses. 

Are you going with Trailwize for yours? They do look amazing. 

Yeah it’s going to be tough and very expensive to get someone to make it behind the dash in the TJ/LJ.  There’s just so much labor in removing the dash and then designing and fabbing everything.  It would almost be easier to go with an aftermarket dash like Genright (if they make it for TJ/LJ) if you went that route.  

I’m having OC Cageworks do mine.  I plan to take a run down to his shop after the rain, he’s only about 20-25 minutes from my house.  

• Thumbs Up 1
19 minutes ago, Crawl2Camp said:

Yeah this just looks a bit scary IMO..

95E4A44F-9C88-4F8A-B428-A2F214B1DC26.jpeg

I'm sure I would nail my knee on that every time lol. Living proof of why most should not be designing a cage.

I'd bet this guy claims you will 'get used to it' and not wreck your knees on every bump. 

1 hour ago, suicideking said:

I'm sure I would nail my knee on that every time lol. Living proof of why most should not be designing a cage.

I'd bet this guy claims you will 'get used to it' and not wreck your knees on every bump. 

That sh*t right there is what Blaine is talking about.  The TJ/LJ and XJ as seen here just don't have a good front tie in.  This is a big no no, but some people just want their “cage”.  🤪

On 3/21/2023 at 3:50 PM, fiend said:

Definitely an improvement over the other one. I’m not ready to tear out my dash though. 🤑

I am probably going to regret not going that way and loosing the dash along with all the other electronic BS I don't like anyway, plus getting the lowered sight lines afforded by the GR dash and the cage to the floor. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
2 hours ago, Crawl2Camp said:

Oh cmon now, sure you are. 🍻😜

Yeah, I’m sure. 😆If I were going to make such drastic modifications to a vehicle, I’d start with something pre-smog so I could mod the engine as well, and not have all the electronics and computer shit to deal with. Of course, then I’d need a trailer and tow vehicle.  Just snowballs …

1 hour ago, Jdofmemi said:

I am probably going to regret not going that way and loosing the dash along with all the other electronic BS I don't like anyway, plus getting the lowered sight lines afforded by the GR dash and the cage to the floor. 

Maybe you can make that mod later?

• Thumbs Up 1