Cage Discussion

suicideking

9 hours ago, fiend said:

Yeah, I’m sure. 😆If I were going to make such drastic modifications to a vehicle, I’d start with something pre-smog so I could mod the engine as well, and not have all the electronics and computer shit to deal with. Of course, then I’d need a trailer and tow vehicle.  Just snowballs …

Maybe you can make that mod later?

I know, but what better time than when it looks like this? 

IMG20230305150207.jpg

IMG20230305150051.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
13 hours ago, Jdofmemi said:

I am probably going to regret not going that way and loosing the dash along with all the other electronic BS I don't like anyway, plus getting the lowered sight lines afforded by the GR dash and the cage to the floor. 

I messaged trailwize and OC Cageworks if they could do all tube in the front if I had the GR Dash. Trailwize said he could. No response from OC yet, so we'll see. That could be an option. 

Though that would get expensive since it's $1000 for the dash. Then the install from Blaine would probably be another $1000. 

• Thumbs Up 1
1 hour ago, suicideking said:

So the dash isn't likely to happen. Blaine would do it, but because it's such a pain the ass, he would charge around $3500 labor. Yikes!

How much would Tony charge to do it?  Sounds like Blaine is just being difficult.  LOL

OC Cageworks will get back to you within the day; it’s best to talk to him in the evenings when he has time.  Remember he is just a welder and not an engineer of any kind.  Trailwize the same IMO.    
The only people that hire that type to design their products correctly are Genright, Motobilt etc.. 

1 hour ago, Crawl2Camp said:

How much would Tony charge to do it?  Sounds like Blaine is just being difficult.  LOL

OC Cageworks will get back to you within the day; it’s best to talk to him in the evenings when he has time.  Remember he is just a welder and not an engineer of any kind.  Trailwize the same IMO.    
The only people that hire that type to design their products correctly are Genright, Motobilt etc.. 

Who's Tony?

OC Cageworks did respond that he would do tube in the front if I had that GR dash. 

I asked Blaine that if I bought a cage with stancions, if he would re-do the front with tube. Short answer is no... 

37 minutes ago, Crawl2Camp said:

Genright.  
Call Andrew at Genright and talk to him and voice your concerns/see what they can do and for how much $.  He has an LJ and is one of the main guys over there.

Called Genright, they won't do the install.

I called Brothers 4x4. They're supposed to call back. Also asked for an estimate to do the Genright cage. When he looked up the dash, he mentioned relocating all the gauges and such. Said he's not sure they would even want to do that lol. 

1 hour ago, Crawl2Camp said:

Rick give these guys a call, they are in San Diego. They might be able to do something for you possibly.

https://speed-freek.com/services/jeep-roll-cage/

Sent an email. Though that website is pretty shitty lol. Under the racing section, there's a post from 7 years ago, so hopefully he's still in business. Cage looks good from the pics. 

I did call around to a few places I found from searching. Didn't find much. I've called Brothers a few times and the guy answering the phone says he'll get someone to call me back for a quote, then they don't respond. So appears that they don't have their shit together or just don't like doing cages. 

2 hours ago, suicideking said:

Sent an email. Though that website is pretty shitty lol. Under the racing section, there's a post from 7 years ago, so hopefully he's still in business. Cage looks good from the pics. 

I did call around to a few places I found from searching. Didn't find much. I've called Brothers a few times and the guy answering the phone says he'll get someone to call me back for a quote, then they don't respond. So appears that they don't have their shit together or just don't like doing cages. 

Yeah I’ve been searching for ideas for the rear of my cage, so just doing a lot of random internet searches.  

Brothers is busy and they get a TON of calls of people inquiring about stuff.  I think the main guy there name is Jasper if I remember correctly.  I actually talked to him a few times and to try and filter through the BS he has people come down to discuss etc..  

• Thumbs Up 1

Found this company on Jeepforum. This guy will do the tube through the dash. Estimate for everything installed was around $3K. Only problem is he's in Washington, close to a 20 hour drive. 

I called him on Saturday and he actually answered and was very talkative, seemed like a nice guy. So already a plus there vs. many of these shops (like Brothers) that won't call you back. So chatted with him and discussed options. He put me on the waiting list, said probably mid summer would be his next opening. No deposit required for the waiting list, so why not?

I'd have to drive it up there and fly back. Considering I haven't found anyone else even willing to go through the dash like this, might be willing to drive up there. Though considering the price is less than anyone else, seems worth it. 

TJcage.thumb.jpeg.ecac0e83c554478c48d36b572dd22076.jpeg

• Like 1

Not sure if its been brought up,but you could always go with  a GR cage and stock dash(with stanchions) and then add two vertical bars straight  to the frame as this picture shows.I believe it would be a safe and easy alternative to pulling the dash and running tubes.Just a thought.

8794976C-B9DF-48A2-8D3E-DF2119AB8888.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
4 hours ago, fiend said:

Rick did you try Excessive Industries?  Their website says they do fabrication work. I don't know if that includes cages.  But they are relatively local ....

I've chatted with him before. Even wheeled with David a long time ago. I've seen his tire carrier (the Gatekeeper) and some bumpers, but don't think he does cages. I will message him though, never hurts to check. 

• Thumbs Up 1
3 hours ago, 702Jeep said:

Not sure if its been brought up,but you could always go with  a GR cage and stock dash(with stanchions) and then add two vertical bars straight  to the frame as this picture shows.I believe it would be a safe and easy alternative to pulling the dash and running tubes.Just a thought.

8794976C-B9DF-48A2-8D3E-DF2119AB8888.jpeg

I haven't asked about that specifically, but most of the installers I've talked to don't want to alter anyone else's design. They want to build a cage like they have done before. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jdofmemi said:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/566886650527890/permalink/1320873155129232/

For the cage discussion:

He drove it off the trail, and kept wheeling the rest of the week. 

Read the comments below the video. 

Another view:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/566886650527890/permalink/1320009465215601/?mibextid=tejx2t

That is really scary! Though pretty awesome that he was able to roll that much and still drive it. Seems like the aluminum roof might help. I was thinking of getting one with the roof. 

9 hours ago, suicideking said:

That is really scary! Though pretty awesome that he was able to roll that much and still drive it. Seems like the aluminum roof might help. I was thinking of getting one with the roof. 

For me the roof is a must, plus I like the way it looks.

• Thumbs Up 2
On 4/17/2023 at 11:50 PM, Jdofmemi said:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/566886650527890/permalink/1320873155129232/

For the cage discussion:

He drove it off the trail, and kept wheeling the rest of the week. 

I don't see how a cage naysayer can respond to something like this with any way but positive. When you add up all of the unsprung weight we drag around to run these 40's, There's no way a factory cage is standing up to this. Just no way

The potential for something like this is what I was referring to when I said some of the dumb shit we do. And this is really a pretty mild climb - it just happens to have a nasty drop off beside it.

• Thumbs Up 5