Cage Discussion

suicideking

59 minutes ago, Jdofmemi said:

Looks pretty good, are you happy with how it's turned out?

Are you doing anything to tie the B and C pillars together? 

My original intention was to allow for the back seat to be used. Once he had the harness bar in, didn't really look like it would be safe to have anyone back there. Wife isn't too happy about that one (she requested it). Though really my kids rarely want to go wheeling anyway. I haven't had the back seat in for a few years. It would probably only be used if my DD was having work done and I needed to drive the Jeep to work and drop off the kids. Even this will only be for another year because I have 3 kids, and my middle son (12) is in 7th grade. The high school is walking distance. My oldest just turned 15 and he will likely get my DD TJ when he gets his license and I will get a new DD. So unlikely that I will really need the backseat anyway. 

After realizing that the back seat wasn't going to work, I asked about doing an X. This would cause a re-design of the cage and would need additional support bars. That ended up being out of my budget, so anything additional  like more B to C support would have to be done another time. I thought about also doing a tire mount back there and an aluminum roof, but again, over budget. He's going to tab for the aluminum roof so I can do it later. 

Also thought briefly about changing to a fast back. It would cost more to change since the rear was already done at that point, and figure it might limit my storage and maybe not as good for having a dog in the back. 

Also not sure I would've ended up using this fabricator if he had correctly estimated the cost. He has done work on older Jeeps, but didn't realize how much work it would be to remove the dash and run tube behind it. So he had given me a rough estimate and grossly exceeded that due to time. If he had told me accurately what it was going to cost, I might have gone with a different fabricator. There was a shop in Washington that I was considering and would have costed considerably less. So in hindsight, might have gone that route. Though wasn't looking forward to driving to and from Washington and flying home, and back when ready. 

All and all, so far I'm happy with how it's turning out accept for cost and the other things mentioned. My original intention something similar to the Genright, but with tube up front and that's what I got. A guy I've worked with before quoted $10K to do the Genright kit and change the front to tube. So still not spending that much for custom. There were others willing to do that job, but most didn't want to commit to a price. 

• Thumbs Up 2