Insurance for our heavily modified Jeeps

I have State Farm. My agent assured me that my policy covers all my mods, parts only. So told me to save all receipts and take pictures often. I'm sure I wouldn't get full value on everything, but hopefully a good percentage. Ideally if my Jeep gets totaled, I'd be able to buy another LJ and at least get some build money. 

Stated value would be nice, but not sure how much that would cost.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe you will have better luck than me Dennis but when I contacted State Farm a few months ago they quoted me over 2k every 6 months to cover my Jeep and wouldn't guarantee me that the accessories and parts would be covered...its a california thing apparently. 

I paid less than $2,200 a year for the jeep, truck, wife's explorer, and trailer with current insurance. 

Definitely, let me know if you find something reasonable because I would love to be able to cover the Jeep even if it was only up to 55-60k.

3 hours ago, AJK said:

Maybe you will have better luck than me Dennis but when I contacted State Farm a few months ago they quoted me over 2k every 6 months to cover my Jeep and wouldn't guarantee me that the accessories and parts would be covered...its a california thing apparently. 

I paid less than $2,200 a year for the jeep, truck, wife's explorer, and trailer with current insurance. 

Definitely, let me know if you find something reasonable because I would love to be able to cover the Jeep even if it was only up to 55-60k.

Farmers, State Farm, Mercury, and Safeco are very strict on writing insurance policies on custom vehicles, that’s per my insurance agent (sister). I have to change my insurance company anyways because, My current insurance company will not cover me if I’m doing volunteer work and driving my Jeep. 

• Hmmmm 1
12 hours ago, Weebz said:

Are they depreciating the parts or replac cost?    

Replacement cost. Years ago I was in an accident where a girl pulled in front of me & I t-boned her. Bent frame, ruined bumper, winch, bent control arms, damn near killed Gruff. State Farm replaced everything no questions. I didn't even have to supply receipts - just pics & links to replacements on websites. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 6
7 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Replacement cost. Years ago I was in an accident where a girl pulled in front of me & I t-boned her. Bent frame, ruined bumper, winch, bent control arms, damn near killed Gruff. State Farm replaced everything no questions. I didn't even have to supply receipts - just pics & links to replacements on websites. 

That's good to hear. 

On 3/24/2023 at 9:16 PM, Nice Little Jeep said:

McKinney insurance
“No one person's insurance needs are the same as another and all coverage is best when it is fine tuned for the customer.”

Who we are looking at right now, they insure the house, and they have custom insurance policies.

McKenny insurance,  will only do a $22,000 adder for accessory. That takes care of the axles . What about the rest of stuff? Calling.😳😁🤣😂

On 4/14/2023 at 4:39 PM, BHaner said:

Not sure what you mean by multiple states...

Well, some insurance companies will not insure you from one state to another, example: if you drive to Utah or Arizona and the Jeep is insured primarily in Washington. Some insurance companies do not cross the border of a state. I didn’t know this was a thing.

On 4/15/2023 at 11:41 PM, Nice Little Jeep said:

Well, some insurance companies will not insure you from one state to another, example: if you drive to Utah or Arizona and the Jeep is insured primarily in Washington. Some insurance companies do not cross the border of a state. I didn’t know this was a thing.

Strange.  Never been told that was an issue.  I have had Progressive, State Farm, and Safeco.

At least progressive says it is not an issue.

https://www.progressive.com/answers/multi-state-car-insurance/

• Thumbs Up 1
On 4/15/2023 at 11:41 PM, Nice Little Jeep said:

What, fuck that I am calling mine to verify thats not happening on mine. I never hear of that, but I do know they wont add your Jeep to your California policy if you have it registierd in another State. I know a few people including my father in law who tried this with his truck and was denied by him insurace carrier and needed to get a seperate out of state policy.

• Thumbs Up 1
On 3/31/2023 at 10:43 AM, BHaner said:

I have mine through Progressive.  Just the Jeep costs me about $1,700 a year.

Screenshot2023-03-31104144.thumb.jpg.51243a68a3679dbe5172af53b0d77395.jpg

Progressive is so expensive in CA and they run your credit as well. Regardless, if they gave you a policy on stated value I need to give them a call.

3 hours ago, AJK said:

What, fuck that I am calling mine to verify thats not happening on mine. I never hear of that, but I do know they wont add your Jeep to your California policy if you have it registierd in another State. I know a few people including my father in law who tried this with his truck and was denied by him insurace carrier and needed to get a seperate out of state policy.

At the same time you feed me this stuff. I feed the stuff to my sister (insurance agent), making sure. I have an ongoing list of requirements It might end up being a separate policy just for the jeep.

10 hours ago, AJK said:

Watch out for the out of state insurance policy as well. 

Many are written by companies not admitted into California, and they will deny a claim if they can prove you reside primarily in CA.