Just a $325 bomber build

I got myself a pile of parts and headaches….

found a chassis that I plan on modifying and making into my buggy.  

it’s a bomber trail chassis. Current motor is a lv3 4.3 direct injection motor with 6l80 trans.

I have a l86 6.2 liter that was going to go in the jk but will be sliding into the buggy.

transmission will be a th400 identical to my yj’s with an atlas as well

I have a super duty front axle that I’m going to build and rear will be a super kingpin 14 bolt.

buggy came with fox coilovers  but might try and find some ori’s

will have leading and trailing arms 

plan is to redo the driver door bars for ease of entrance and make it a single seater

IMG_3405.jpeg

IMG_3406.jpeg

IMG_3407.jpeg

IMG_3343.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You get more travel with a trailing/leading arm.  You also get to move the shock off the axle to the link.

https://bomberfab.com/products/bomber-fab-cnc-trail-chassis

main reason is I trust Randy Slawsons thinking on this as he has won the KOH race like 3-4 times in his own chassis.  I’m gonna steal every idea I can from him as I don’t need to be unique as much as make things work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steven, so with these rigs do most build junkyard or take off axles? I assume you don’t throw a set of Curries or Fusions on them? Out of curiosity what do you think the width of your stance is going to be with the SD and kingpin….85-90 inches to the outside of tires?

2 hours ago, AJK said:

Steven, so with these rigs do most build junkyard or take off axles? I assume you don’t throw a set of Curries or Fusions on them? Out of curiosity what do you think the width of your stance is going to be with the SD and kingpin….85-90 inches to the outside of tires?

Full width 72” spidertrax with all the steering angles are what I’m putting in the GB LJ buggy!  It will end up being 86.5”ish outside tire to O.T. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
43 minutes ago, MIOffroadCustoms said:

Full width 72” spidertrax with all the steering angles are what I’m putting in the GB LJ buggy!  It will end up being 86.5”ish outside tire to O.T. 

I have never even looked into this, can you buy rear steer axles or do you need to fab them?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
15 hours ago, MIOffroadCustoms said:

I can have them built out ready to bolt in or you can finish it yourself if you need to test fit things a little. Ie. link arm mount/shock mounts. 

So if a guy bought a rig with a drag axle, how hard would it be to convert ($$) to a steer axle?

Asking for a friend.....

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, Gruff said:

So if a guy bought a rig with a drag axle, how hard would it be to convert ($$) to a steer axle?

Asking for a friend.....

New C’s, Knuckles, high steer arms, Hubs & all bearings, drive flanges, shafts, Ram mount, full hydro steering kit (electric over hydraulic), self center kit for rear steer, lines. That’s about all I can think of off the top! 

6 hours ago, MIOffroadCustoms said:

New C’s, Knuckles, high steer arms, Hubs & all bearings, drive flanges, shafts, Ram mount, full hydro steering kit (electric over hydraulic), self center kit for rear steer, lines. That’s about all I can think of off the top! 

LOL. so basically everything but the housing.

Wow lots of questions missed this haha..

*I am doing one junkyard axle (front super 60) and a new 14 bolt steer rear super kingpin rear etc 

*I have not figured my total width but I’m matching my rear to my front

*converting a drag axle to a steer your gonna be close to 15-20 with everything.  You might have to move the shocks and the links but that’s minor stuff.  Honestly saving the axle to make it into a steer you could save some money selling complete and just buy a drop in unit.

*I looked hard at spider trax stuff just all in it was more than I wanted to spend.  

I am lucky with the jk I can turn that down a lil bit and use a lot of awesome parts on the buggy.

stole… wilwood brakes, l86, Reid s/d outers with hydro arms, rcv’s, arb,… basically I have the front built for free minus labor

i just pray for my Ups guys back the next few months as I have piles of parts coming lol

• Thumbs Up 2