Lets talk Buggies

AJK

I like that one.  To get into a rear steer you’re going to be in the 45-50 starting range.  Like Scott said be prepared to fix a bit of stuff as there is always some issue.  A nice drag axle you will start to see nice ones in the 35k range

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Never been a fan of Propane.

It was the big thing for wheeling back in the 80's-90's.  I believe it was to overcome float/flooding issues of the carbs at off angles.

It seemed like they were always having issues.  Regulators... Freezing... Leaking...  Not wanting to start... Out of fuel...

Since fuel injection became more affordable it really doesn't make much sense.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
On 1/22/2024 at 10:18 AM, KevinG said:

Pros/cons to propane?  There is one that caught my eye on one of the classifieds that has my attention.  The guy had it built for someone his height and I'm slightly taller, but it's kind of intriguing.

image.gif.74df903f36f455e79cf40b2c1f17cce9.gif

• Like 1
On 1/22/2024 at 1:18 PM, KevinG said:

Pros/cons to propane?  There is one that caught my eye on one of the classifieds that has my attention.  The guy had it built for someone his height and I'm slightly taller, but it's kind of intriguing.

How hard to convert back to gas?

On 1/26/2024 at 11:11 AM, KevinG said:

There were a few that caught my attention including this one, but on top of being propane it's a 22R.    Some things going for it, but a lot that isn't.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/948428678525475/permalink/7579147262120217/?sale_post_id=7579147262120217

NGL when I was looking at these I kinda preferred the "lizard" style buggies. Most of these styles have the 22Rs. While I love rum rum V8 sounds as much as the next guy, 

it seems that these lighter style buggies are just as capable. I've wheeled with guys with V8's and went where they did. I've never been in a situation where I couldn't make the obstacle due to a lack of power. So I guess the question is why is a V8 totally necessary? 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Gruff said:

NGL when I was looking at these I kinda preferred the "lizard" style buggies. Most of these styles have the 22Rs. While I love rum rum V8 sounds as much as the next guy, 

it seems that these lighter style buggies are just as capable. I've wheeled with guys with V8's and went where they did. I've never been in a situation where I couldn't make the obstacle due to a lack of power. So I guess the question is why is a V8 totally necessary? 

My $0.02 worth:

In a buggy it seems to me lighter is better. Buggies get there slow, with gearing and agility, so big power is not a requirement, and may even hinder progress. 

If you want a bouncer, not a buggy, then, big power rules. 

I don't really see buggies going fast anywhere, so why load it with unnecessary weight?

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Jdofmemi said:

My $0.02 worth:

In a buggy it seems to me lighter is better. Buggies get there slow, with gearing and agility, so big power is not a requirement, and may even hinder progress. 

If you want a bouncer, not a buggy, then, big power rules. 

I don't really see buggies going fast anywhere, so why load it with unnecessary weight?

The more I'm looking the more I'm going down a rabbit hole.  LOL.  

• Like 1
  • Ketchup 1
1 hour ago, KevinG said:

The more I'm looking the more I'm going down a rabbit hole.  LOL.  

lol I was in deep too. Probably drove Jeff Byron & Stephen nuts there for awhile with the texting. Lots to look at out there - good and bad

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ketchup 1
21 minutes ago, Gruff said:

lol I was in deep too. Probably drove Jeff Byron & Stephen nuts there for awhile with the texting. Lots to look at out there - good and bad

Lol, that means those three jokers have texts going with two of us.  We should start a club....

• Haha 1

I'm having a hard time deciding if spending 50 to 70k is worth it for vehicle that's going to sit in my garage 95% of the year.

I have pretty much written off the LJ project because at that point I would rather have a rock buggy than another Jeep.

• Thumbs Up 1
2 hours ago, AJK said:

I'm having a hard time deciding if spending 50 to 70k is worth it for vehicle that's going to sit in my garage 95% of the year.

I have pretty much written off the LJ project because at that point I would rather have a rock buggy than another Jeep.

This is why I backed off. If I lived out West it's a different story