Buggy 55

More updates...

Took it out to Walker Valley ORV park a few weeks ago.

Found some issues.  ORI's are sketchy AF if they are not setup properly.  Even at 4K I think I need more than 50 PSI in the lowers.  Front wanted to unload and rear wanted to just drop out to nothing when I went to climb something.  I could see how the previous owner rolled this thing a few times. 

The engine is the other big problem.  Idle issues continue.  Nothing like trying to work out an obstacle and having the engine shut off.  Then not want to start.

My remote tuner has been MIA so I started tinkering.  Messing with the throttle blade... TPS... IAC settings.  No matter what I did it wanted to shut off under some situations.  The easiest to replicate was just lightly touching the throttle then letting up.  It would stumble and try to catch itself.. Sometimes it would... Sometimes it wouldn't.

After talking with some people it kept leading back to fuel pressure or programming.  Since the tuner was MIA... I started looking at the fuel pressure.

The regulator had a fuel pressure gauge on it that showed 55 PSI.  The problem was I noticed it didn't go back to 0 when I removed the rails to replace the injectors.

Ordered up a new fuel pressure gauge and found out I was only getting about 42 PSI!  I bumped that up to the recommended 58 PSI and things seem to stay running.  I actually got to play with the thing in the back yard some without it shutting down.

I imagine I will need to have it tuned again now that the pressure is correct.  SO we will see how that goes.

IMG_3617.jpeg

IMG_2014.jpeg

IMG_2010.jpeg

IMG_2005.jpeg

IMG_3623.jpeg

IMG_2066.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
14 hours ago, MIOffroadCustoms said:

I would start around 75-80 psi in the lowers on all 4 corners & go for a ride, see how it feels. Then adjust from there. Remember to bleed off the top side before adjusting the lower, then refill the topside to the desired ride height. 

I started with 50.  The ride was great but one you started articulating things got messy in a hurry.

I am at 100 now.  Haven't tested it more than driving around the back yard.  So far it is stiff.  But I get less roll for sure.

Where do you normally set the compression/rebound?

14 hours ago, MIOffroadCustoms said:

Typically the dot in the 3 o’clock ish for normal crawling, 5 ish for trail running

Shit...  I have no idea where my dot is.  I know the slit is vertical right now.  I didn't even notice a dot.  I turned them all the way CCW and then to vertical.

Did some work this past weekend on the front truss.  Still not happy with the truss itself being so thin... But we will see how it goes.

The ram mount had been hit so many times that it had been pushed back into the truss.  Caving the front of the truss in and letting the ram end cap contact the diff cover.

I cut the top plate off and added some plate behind it to strengthen it up.

IMG_2318.thumb.jpeg.eae9f9474bf1bb38ec4cb8e076b84090.jpeg

IMG_2319.thumb.jpeg.918c1a583f7fcd061d52835d72d41d1b.jpeg

IMG_2320.thumb.jpeg.b440b1fe926f63a2a9261da16c203c5b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
On 10/12/2023 at 3:07 PM, Weebz said:

Looks good.  Any progress on the engine or ORI?

None at all.

I have the lowers set to 100 psi now.   Ready to test again.

Trying to get my guy who was helping me with tuning on it again.  If that doesn't work out I am going to buy a Holly computer and go from there.

After having nothing but issues with the factory LS1 ECM and the tuner that was "helping" me... I just ordered a Holley Terminator X Max for the rig.

Hopefully this helps solve all the engine issues I have been fighting.  Being able to idle and have predictable throttle control would be nice. 

This unit will allow me to remove ALL the hacked and cobbled factory LS1 wiring for the engine and transmission.  Replacing it with a simple and clean wire harness.

550-916-1000x1000.thumb.jpg.7c66c0422a2fc9b31689bf767e97e576.jpg

If all goes well I might even go for the nice Holley dash.  But will see.  Spensive!

553-111-1000x1000.thumb.jpg.9575ea5b11a38a2146edecb60b6b4cb3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3