Big Island, Oahu & Teti’aroa

My wife and I went on a mixed business and pleasure trip…first to visit our property on the Big Island to meet with our architect and interview some builders to revive our plans to build a home there

IMG_4619.jpeg

• Like 1

On to Oahu, to visit friends…from my hotel room, I could see a flag marking a rock along a channel that came to the beach in Waikiki…Raider Nation is everywhere…

IMG_4684.jpeg

IMG_4708.jpeg

IMG_4733.jpeg

Father’s Day brunch at our friend Ed Kenney’s restaurant Mud Hen Water…sizzling pig head with egg, pickled daikon & shallot, Hawaiian chili and rice…prior to mixing it all up in the smoking hot skillet…half eaten plate of kampachi crudo, a bloodie with gin, Szechuan pepper, shoyu, kimchi, crumbled chicharrones…with Hawaiian chili pepper water

IMG_4703.jpeg

IMG_4702.jpeg

IMG_4701.jpeg

The reason why I came here…

My guide was Teihotu’s son, Manea…his grandpa was Marlon Brando. When Marlon Brando was filming “Mutiny On The Bounty “ in 1962, he fell in love with his Tahitian costar Tarita Teriipaia…had two children with her, His son Teihotu and daughter Cheyenne. He then bought the island of Teti’aroa from

France for $250,000…what a bargain

the metal tipped pole Manea is carrying was to chase sharks away while fishing…and had to use it frequently. I lost two big bonefish to lemon sharks…

IMG_4802.jpeg

IMG_4804.jpeg

IMG_4814.jpeg

IMG_4821.jpeg

IMG_4827.jpeg

IMG_4817.jpeg

• Like 1

Last day of fishing was victory at sea…solid 25 knot winds gusting to 35…heavy clouds and intermittent rain…still managed to tuck into the Lee of a small islet and get a have dozen decent jacks and landed one nice GT…but I lost a monster GT after 30 mins when she finally wrapped around a rock and broke off…

IMG_4848.jpeg

IMG_4853.jpeg

IMG_4861.jpeg