JLUR Rental

I'm in Maui this week. With 3 kids, we usually end up in a minivan or large SUV. Walk up to the rentals and spotted 2 Rubis and one Sport. Quickly joked that we should grab a Rubi while we can. Then find out that's the largest vehicle available, so cool with me haha!

Wife commented that it was easier getting all our luggage in the Jeep. Everyone fit (though maybe too close to prevent fights from happening). After a day of driving it, started joking about trading my 3 month old Ram 1500 for one. Wife reminded me WE WILL NOT HAVE 3 JEEPS! Getting more irritated when I was joking about renting 35" tires and a lift. 😎

Impressed that they had Rubi's available and not just Sports. Seems to be the most popular vehicle on the island. Liking it so far and will be taking the front tops off at least. 

JLUR.thumb.jpg.397f986aaf137ba4c34da343af381121.jpg

• Like 1

So here's your average highway experience in Maui. We were driving to Hana and spotted that we were behind 3 other Jeeps and had one behind us. Told my wife I felt like we were in a caravan up to Big Bear. Definitely a suitable vehicle for Maui. Lots of tight roads and ended up parking in a few places that most vehicles wouldn't have been able to. 

Jeeps.thumb.jpg.cd692a7951f70d242c646d558f9f9ce8.jpg

24 minutes ago, KevinG said:

So cool.  Headed there next week and so far our rental is a Camry.  

We rented from National at the airport where you just pick from what they have. It was 3 Jeeps and a couple crossover SUV's. 

• Thumbs Up 1
On 7/10/2024 at 7:35 PM, suicideking said:

So here's your average highway experience in Maui. We were driving to Hana and spotted that we were behind 3 other Jeeps and had one behind us. Told my wife I felt like we were in a caravan up to Big Bear. Definitely a suitable vehicle for Maui. Lots of tight roads and ended up parking in a few places that most vehicles wouldn't have been able to. 

Jeeps.thumb.jpg.cd692a7951f70d242c646d558f9f9ce8.jpg

I have been to Maui 3 time in the past 10 years and never made it over there. I always heard it amazing but the drive is just horrible. What were your thought?

16 hours ago, AJK said:

I have been to Maui 3 time in the past 10 years and never made it over there. I always heard it amazing but the drive is just horrible. What were your thought?

The drive wasn't really that bad. We paid for a GPS audio guide (Shaka Guide) and stopped at many of the suggested sites. I had 3 kids (10, 13, 15) with us and nobody complained about the length. Though my 13yo gets car sick and vomited after about the first 90 min of twists and turns. I thought it was a cool. Lots of nice waterfalls and other nice scenery. 

You do have to have reservations for the black sands beach, and that was the coolest part. We left around 9AM and got to the beach around noon. Our reservation was for 1:30PM, but they let us in early because it wasn't that busy. 

• Thumbs Up 1