2016 Sahara (ish)

23 hours ago, KevinG said:

It's been so long since I have had a reliable front locker....  

Lol.... It's the best fucking feeling in the world, isn't it? 

And don't you love how they lock instantly without 180° of tire roll?

• Thumbs Up 1
10 hours ago, KevinG said:

So this is a bit of a rant….  I had typed out a huge paragraph about an oil leak, $2000 in repairs and it leaking worse now. Long story short I’m either going to sell this pos or get a new engine. 

Where’s it leaking from? Rear main seal?  $20 in parts, $1980 in labor? 

4 hours ago, Weebz said:

Rut roh.   I’m going on a limb to say you aren’t selling it.  Not now.  

Just really frustrated...

1 hour ago, fiend said:

Where’s it leaking from? Rear main seal?  $20 in parts, $1980 in labor? 

Here;'s the longer story.  At that point I had driven it back from SH and it had lost a quart for the whole drive home.   Oil was seeping from the bell housing, so it was the rear main seal most likely.  I don't have the garage, time or the skill to tackle a rear main so I used a shop our dealership uses often.  They also figure it's the rear main so $1200 later it's "fixed".  They drop it off at my work, and a puddle appears below it.  I take it right back over since it looks like it's from the same area and they say that the oil filter housing is cracked.  That I would normally tackle myself, but since I had just had them do the rear main I figure probably just best to let them do it.  Another $800.  They again drop it off at my work and no puddle after they park it.  As we are getting ready to close I started it up to warm it up and lock up the dealership.   As I am walking out there is oil dripping everywhere.  I drove it the 7 miles home and in that time it was a quart low.  To shorten the story up, the next week they replaced the oil filter housing again, and then while I was out of town this last week they replaced the rear main for the third time.  It's now leaking about the same as it did (from the bell housing) as when all of this started.  I'm pretty frustrated.

38 minutes ago, Weebz said:

So either they are incompetent or fixing the wrong problem?   

I am going to go with incompetent. I got home from Palm Springs Thursday at 1 in the morning, then worked 38 hours between Friday and Sunday.  I finally had a chance to pick it up yesterday and saw the leak.  I was just out there looking at it and the oil is way overfilled.  I had pulled all the skids off and pulled the air line for the locker out of the way before it went in the first time so it would be easier for them to get to.  Evidently they must have pulled the front control arms for some reason.  The only reason I know is because I just rebuilt the CA bushings a month ago and had the factory bolts at the axle side.  Well, the factory bolts are now at the frame side and finger tightened on, not even close to snugged down.  I'm pretty freaking pissed.

Our service department is pretty slammed and this shop is just a block away, so we have been sending them our overflow for non warranty work, maybe 5-10 customers per month.  I have a feeling after telling our GM about this we will find another shop to send stuff to.

4 minutes ago, BHaner said:

I got a red jeep for sale... No oil leaks... Just sayin!

Buggy... buggy... buggy...

Is it Ethans red TJ body behind the shop?  No engine+no leaks!  🤣

1 hour ago, KevinG said:

Here;'s the longer story.  At that point I had driven it back from SH and it had lost a quart for the whole drive home.   Oil was seeping from the bell housing, so it was the rear main seal most likely.  I don't have the garage, time or the skill to tackle a rear main so I used a shop our dealership uses often.  They also figure it's the rear main so $1200 later it's "fixed".  They drop it off at my work, and a puddle appears below it.  I take it right back over since it looks like it's from the same area and they say that the oil filter housing is cracked.  That I would normally tackle myself, but since I had just had them do the rear main I figure probably just best to let them do it.  Another $800.  They again drop it off at my work and no puddle after they park it.  As we are getting ready to close I started it up to warm it up and lock up the dealership.   As I am walking out there is oil dripping everywhere.  I drove it the 7 miles home and in that time it was a quart low.  To shorten the story up, the next week they replaced the oil filter housing again, and then while I was out of town this last week they replaced the rear main for the third time.  It's now leaking about the same as it did (from the bell housing) as when all of this started.  I'm pretty frustrated.

Jeez what a headache.  Bad enough to have those issues, but to throw shop incompetence on top of it....  Sorry man!!

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, KevinG said:

Not to throw salt in the wound, but the rear main probably was never bad, but they charged you to replace it anyway. 

The oil cooler/filter housing is terrible. 

Even a brand new one will leak it torqued wrong. 

Doorman makes an aluminum replacement that is supposed to be better. 

Or, time for a V-8 swap😁😁

• Thumbs Up 1