2016 Sahara (ish)

14 hours ago, Weebz said:

This.   Curious how bad it is to man handle when done.  Looks awesome though.  Congrats.  

14 hours ago, AxK said:

Cage looks so nice Kevin. How difficult was it to remove?

Not too bad.  Had two buddies that live nearby that helped for beer.  Definitely have to have the seatbelt retractor unbolted so the b pillar can go forward, then the front of the cage has to go up and towards the hood to clear the dash.  Once that is going , you can walk it back.  We had one guy inside the jeep for the front and two guys at the back.  You can rest the b pillar on the wheel well to reposition.  I'm not sure I would try it with just two guys.  

I pretty confident that going back won't be too much drama.  I was kind of afraid that undoing the bolts would have an effect like undoing my belt at thanksgiving, but I didn't notice any significant movement.   Fingers crossed.

• Thumbs Up 1
13 minutes ago, KevinG said:

I was kind of afraid that undoing the bolts would have an effect like undoing my belt at thanksgiving, but I didn't notice any significant movement.   Fingers crossed.

Hopefully skip welding side to side and front to back will have helped with this.  Nothing should be in a bind.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, BHaner said:

Hopefully skip welding side to side and front to back will have helped with this.  Nothing should be in a bind.

We weld a lot of our large assemblies at the place I work similar to that. (That and X pattern to opposing corners)  It makes a huge difference in preventing pull and warpage. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
6 minutes ago, KevinG said:

Dude. Can’t thank you enough.  Can’t believe how well it turned out

Have you looked at the soft top brackets to see if all that will work?

It seems like the only issue was the surrounds.  The kit provided a way to connect those.

I’ve been trying to figure that out and don’t think the top I have will work with the trek top adapters. No bow in the back. Since I have new lower doors I’m thinking I’m going to go with twill uppers and a twill trek top. I haven’t cut my surrounds yet but I have a good idea how it all goes. 

11 hours ago, Crawl2Camp said:

That came out great.  Did you do the paint yourself?  

Yeah. Sanded it, primer and then gloss spray paint then a clear. 

5 hours ago, Weebz said:

Looks fantastic.   What were you doing with all the foam brushes?

I painted a couple places under the corners in the Jeep where I cut out for the taillights. I NEVER want to pull them off again. 😂 

• Thumbs Up 1

Food for thought:

Gloss on the lower windshield bar will give you a reflection on the windshield when in the sun. 

Less with black than others, but it's still there. 

If this bothers you, maybe do the upper third  of the windshield bar flat tire matte finish to prevent it. 

• Thumbs Up 1
1 minute ago, Jdofmemi said:

Food for thought:

Gloss on the lower windshield bar will give you a reflection on the windshield when in the sun. 

If this bothers you, maybe do the upper third  of the windshield bar flat tire matte finish to prevent it. 

I painted mine with Krylon Fusion Matte Black zero reflection. I can only find that paint at Lowes.

14 hours ago, Jdofmemi said:

Food for thought:

14 hours ago, AxK said:

I painted mine with Krylon Fusion Matte Black zero reflection. I can only find that paint at Lowes.

Thanks for the tips guys. I’ll see if it bugs me when I get it all back together. Unfortunately with the short garage in the new house and non stop rain on off days the cage isn’t in yet. 

On 4/2/2022 at 9:22 AM, Jdofmemi said:

Food for thought:

That is why I did my windshield bar in black texture.  The rest of the cage is red.  Glad I did.

• Thumbs Up 1