2016 Sahara (ish)

So just wanted to post up a few things with the cage that might come in handy for Jeff and ECJ.  I had a rugged ridge softop that would have worked with a quite a bit of modification.  I was thinking about going fastback again, but really missed the extra cargo space with the squareback style, so I ordered up a new top.  Probably made everything tougher than it needed to be.

First two pics are the surrounds.  Literally take it down completely flat.  I ordered the soft top adapter and trek top adapter.  Ended up figuring out how high the bow bracket needed to be then drilled the larger hole to go in the bung in the back part of the cage rather than the bracket that I "think" came with it.  Could have come with the trektop stuff but who knows.   The last thing I had to do was modify our stupid short garage to fit.  

surround.jpg

looking up.jpeg

bow bracket.jpg

bow bracket 2.jpeg

done.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
1 hour ago, KevinG said:

So just wanted to post up a few things with the cage that might come in handy for Jeff and ECJ.  I had a rugged ridge softop that would have worked with a quite a bit of modification.  I was thinking about going fastback again, but really missed the extra cargo space with the squareback style, so I ordered up a new top.  Probably made everything tougher than it needed to be.

First two pics are the surrounds.  Literally take it down completely flat.  I ordered the soft top adapter and trek top adapter.  Ended up figuring out how high the bow bracket needed to be then drilled the larger hole to go in the bung in the back part of the cage rather than the bracket that I "think" came with it.  Could have come with the trektop stuff but who knows.   The last thing I had to do was modify our stupid short garage to fit.  

surround.jpg

looking up.jpeg

bow bracket.jpg

bow bracket 2.jpeg

done.JPG

Looks good man. Ready for summer. 🤟🏻

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Weebz said:

Shoot.  Who has time for those details!  Raw cage and a lot of holes in the body is about the best I’m doing at this point.   Looks awesome though.  Congrats.  

I’ll deal with a cage after I flop. At that point I can get the wife to flip the bill.  😂 

• Haha 2
14 hours ago, Weebz said:

Shoot.  Who has time for those details!  Raw cage and a lot of holes in the body is about the best I’m doing at this point.   Looks awesome though.  Congrats.  

Man I wish we all lived closer.  I would be happy to dig in as much as you can stand me, but realistically Byron and Ethan are pretty amazing with figuring everything out and getting it all done.

Got around to putting the half doors together.  I had ordered everything back in November.  The shells came pretty fast.  The inner panels not so much.  When I got the shipping notifications that both front and rear had shipped and a couple of nice big boxes arrived a few weeks ago.  After I got the doors back from paint I put the latches, handles hinges and everything on.  I had held off on opening boxes since I have such limited space in the new garage, but to my surprise each huge box had just one rear panel.  Hoping the other ones will show up in the next six months or so, but in the meantime I at least know how everything will look....

For anyone with a GR cage and thinking about putting the GR Cargo Rack in, keep in mind you need to weld bungs in the horizontal bar between the C and D pillar.  Probably going to do that after the AZ trip.  The other thing still on the list is the b pillar chop.  Our body shop didnt feel comfortable doing it so something else for later in May.

half doors.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
2 hours ago, BHaner said:

There is something seriously unnerving about taking a sawzall to the side of a rig... :classic_blink:

I think having access to a TIG welder really did make it easier.  The metal is so thin in some places.

22870B4E-220C-480B-BBDF-564E66181FEB.jpeg

F3C25F0A-E39F-4A49-95D8-7174D01A8597.jpeg

1CB6803D-FC35-4CEE-924A-30054C6D1DEC.jpeg

7E0BBA2F-0AE5-4D85-9CA6-C04D05A32EF0.jpeg

C16E2C53-2A01-4441-A1C5-E04044C85DD8.jpeg

EE5BDBF3-AC05-4D77-A784-CC41210E4B6D.jpeg

262F9CF8-4E82-411B-B2C9-3A46798669A8.jpeg

Nice work. So I see the pin in the bottom is to line up but how does it secure to the top?

On 7/18/2022 at 7:32 AM, BHaner said:

There is something seriously unnerving about taking a sawzall to the side of a rig... :classic_blink:

Gotta admit, after you cut the first side so nicely and then I started to butcher the other side I was already googling "least rainfall in the us" and getting ready to list it on craigslist there.  I swear if I hadn't met you I would still be rolling around in an AEV wannabe with a lot more money in my bank account.  Thanks again Byron.

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, fiend said:

Someday I’d like to learn TIG. 

Outside of running big flux core MIG on thick parts it is my favorite type of welding.  Clean... Quiet... Relaxing.

Well... Except for when you haven't done it since like 1998... Then all you do the whole time is think to yourself "don't touch the filler rod to the tungsten...  Don't touch the filler rod to the tungsten... SHIT... You touched the filler rod to the tungsten..."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3