Gruff JK

11 hours ago, Jdofmemi said:

Me too, but works kicking my ass. 

If I was doing all of this myself I'd be further back than you guys are. Work has been a fucking bear the past month and just turned into a circus this week. I'd likely just sit and look at all the parts hoping they'd assemble themselves. I'm fortunate beyond belief to have a shop of this quality within walking distance from my office. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1
On 2/18/2022 at 1:06 PM, Gruff said:

it also attaches to the door jamb area like the RH does. He was monkeying with that when I was there.

I wish all these cages had a full down tube that bent around the dash like old school instead of the stupid bracket that bolts to the door jamb

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Gruff said:

If I was doing all of this myself I'd be further back than you guys are. Work has been a fucking bear the past month and just turned into a circus this week. I'd likely just sit and look at all the parts hoping they'd assemble themselves. I'm fortunate beyond belief to have a shop of this quality within walking distance from my office. 

So, in other words, you would be right where I'm at🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Cage looks awesome. I was zooming in on notches and was impressed that they looked good enough to tig, then even more impressed when you said they were going to be!

There is are just couple spots I would like to see different on the genright cage but the main thing without being intrusive would be just adding a tube gusset to the windshield bar bend right above a-pillar. I hate dead tubes, but it would add a lot of strength and help it from kinking on a hard a-pillar impact since the top windshield bar has a decent bend to it.

hands down though, that is the best prefab cage on the market.

6280532D-9390-47A1-A9A6-D1E8E8F44929.jpeg

9 hours ago, Redline said:

Cage looks awesome. I was zooming in on notches and was impressed that they looked good enough to tig, then even more impressed when you said they were going to be!

There is are just couple spots I would like to see different on the genright cage but the main thing without being intrusive would be just adding a tube gusset to the windshield bar bend right above a-pillar. I hate dead tubes, but it would add a lot of strength and help it from kinking on a hard a-pillar impact since the top windshield bar has a decent bend to it.

hands down though, that is the best prefab cage on the market.

6280532D-9390-47A1-A9A6-D1E8E8F44929.jpeg

Yeah, Matts tweaked this thing for a couple days moving all over it one smack with the rubber mallet at a time. I thing he had to run to Harbor Freight for more straps 😂 I'm gonna run down and see the progress today. I stayed out yesterday so I wouldn't interrupt him. Good idea on the A pillar. I'm trying to get him to modify the A-Pillar corner bracket the windshield frame bolts to by making it detachable from the cage. There's a couple places where I plan to run to run without the windshield attached and don't want that bracket sticking out to catch on anything.

Ironically, Matt worked for a Porsche racing team previously, and he fabbed the chassis & roll cages for them. He's the one that fabbed those little sliders on the control arms. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
5 hours ago, KevinG said:

Looks great!  You are PC'ing it red?

Thanks!

No, I'm gonna rattle can it with factory color. It's too big to fit in the shops oven anyways. I get cans made with the paint code at a local auto body supply store.

I'll prime it and paint red with a close match then do final layers in the factory red. I did that on my RH cage and Excessive tire carrier and it came out really nice.

• Thumbs Up 1
3 hours ago, Gruff said:

Thanks!

No, I'm gonna rattle can it with factory color. It's too big to fit in the shops oven anyways. I get cans made with the paint code at a local auto body supply store.

I'll prime it and paint red with a close match then do final layers in the factory red. I did that on my RH cage and Excessive tire carrier and it came out really nice.

Hmmmm.  I might copy you on that, just not on the red part.

To paraphrase the stones "I see a red cage and I want to paint it black"  Looks awesome.  B pillar coming off next?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, KevinG said:

Hmmmm.  I might copy you on that, just not on the red part.

To paraphrase the stones "I see a red cage and I want to paint it black"  Looks awesome.  B pillar coming off next?

Lol, It'll def be loud painted red. Jeffs is gonna look awesome in blue! If these were exterior parts I'd look into the PC, but my RH cage was in for 3 years or so and it still looked great

7 hours ago, Weebz said:

Looks amazing.   Excited to see it all wrapped up.  

On my way up to the shop now - working on the B pillar chop.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3