Gruff JK

Mounted them up a couple weeks ago & got to try them out. Amazing grip. Can't wait to try them out at Sand Hollow. Saw these struts on a Jeep at the shop & decided to try them out. They work really well. So weird having a self opening hood on a Jeep

tires.jpg

props.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4
30 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Thanks bud. I guess I never did post too many pics of the build. I have a bunch on my laptop at home - I'll do some progression pics. Here's a few I have on my work computer

20220429_162856.jpg

20220521_093245.jpg

20220521_111129.jpg

PXL_20221110_004852128.jpg

PXL_20221110_005433041.jpg

laser.jpg

Very nice!!!  Love how it just rolls over so you can scratch his belly! 

So Motobilt 4 link rear and their 3 link front too?  And then Genright tank, and CO mounts?  Sorry that I'm late to the party!

• Haha 1

So here's the Frankenstein list

Genright: rear axle control arm mounts, coilover mounts, rear crossmember and Coilover towers, tank, roll cage, front coilover axle mounts, coilover towers, track bar relocation mounts, custom trackbar and steering ram mount, custom control arm mounts on axle, Genright spec 2.5" coilovers

Motobilt: frame mounts and crossmember for the front of the control arms, skid plate and transmission crossmember.

I liked the Motobilt frame brackets AND it let me keep the frame mounts for the existing EVO long arm mounts and incorporate the Motobilt skid. So front is still 4 link. We made all new 4130 arms for the front but with all of the reinforcing we did the previous round, cutting those mounts out would have been a damn nightmare. I know people claim the EVO limits flex and they bind, but the front axle is hanging off of the limit straps so if there is any, I can't tell.

• Thumbs Up 1
4 minutes ago, Gruff said:

So here's the Frankenstein list

Genright: rear axle control arm mounts, coilover mounts, rear crossmember and Coilover towers, tank, roll cage, front coilover axle mounts, coilover towers, track bar relocation mounts, custom trackbar and steering ram mount, custom control arm mounts on axle, Genright spec 2.5" coilovers

Motobilt: frame mounts and crossmember for the front of the control arms, skid plate and transmission crossmember.

I liked the Motobilt frame brackets AND it let me keep the frame mounts for the existing EVO long arm mounts and incorporate the Motobilt skid. So front is still 4 link. We made all new 4130 arms for the front but with all of the reinforcing we did the previous round, cutting those mounts out would have been a damn nightmare. I know people claim the EVO limits flex and they bind, but the front axle is hanging off of the limit straps so if there is any, I can't tell.

Man that's for taking the time to write all that out.  Thanks!

Gotcha. It's a pieced together build but I love it!!  I have thought about doing something similar.  Just doing the Motobilt rear 4 link and keeping the front with the Evo stuff.  I have already dropped the drivers side upper and running it 3 link.  So it may have to be the Motobilt..... 

I know the Genright stuff works and works very well but that Genright sticker shock! Wow!  

But dam I really like that RPM kit too.  

18 minutes ago, riskitforthebiskit said:

Man that's for taking the time to write all that out.  Thanks!

Gotcha. It's a pieced together build but I love it!!  I have thought about doing something similar.  Just doing the Motobilt rear 4 link and keeping the front with the Evo stuff.  I have already dropped the drivers side upper and running it 3 link.  So it may have to be the Motobilt..... 

I know the Genright stuff works and works very well but that Genright sticker shock! Wow!  

But dam I really like that RPM kit too.  

Yeah, no problem!

So I've also kicked around losing the drivers upper link too. Especially since I now trailer out West and on most wheeling trips. Do you notice a difference without it? 

2 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Yeah, no problem!

So I've also kicked around losing the drivers upper link too. Especially since I now trailer out West and on most wheeling trips. Do you notice a difference without it? 

I couldn't tell any difference as far a driveablility.  On the trail I feel like there is just as much flex or maybe more but it feels easier.  

Would be pretty easy to just pull it off and see. 

• Like 1
On 11/16/2023 at 1:37 PM, riskitforthebiskit said:

I couldn't tell any difference as far a driveablility.  On the trail I feel like there is just as much flex or maybe more but it feels easier.  

Would be pretty easy to just pull it off and see. 

I would Just be cautious off the bracket holding the upper link. EVO uses 3/16 gauge metal and Jakes upper bracket holding the link is cracked. 
I will also add that Jake is hard on his Jeep though. 😂 so this could just be due to all the years of abuse he has put on the old girl. 

• Thumbs Up 2
On 12/16/2023 at 10:06 AM, Savage90 said:

I would Just be cautious off the bracket holding the upper link. EVO uses 3/16 gauge metal and Jakes upper bracket holding the link is cracked. 
I will also add that Jake is hard on his Jeep though. 😂 so this could just be due to all the years of abuse he has put on the old girl. 

There is no excuse for 3/16” brackets. 

• Thumbs Up 1
15 minutes ago, Jdofmemi said:

I have to agree with this. 

Fine, for rigs not marketed to go off road. 

Total crap for a Jeep. 

When I polished up my old PR44 for sale, I replaced the cracked and bent track bar bracket with a new synergy one.  The 3/16” steel looked pretty flimsy, compared to all the 1/4” Artec stuff I’d just put on my new axles.  Someone else’s problem. 😂 

• Haha 1