Bender - 2010 JKUR

6 hours ago, fiend said:

Guys with ARB lockers. How do you run the air lines? Directly down to the fitting? Or more sideways, such as along the track bar? Down is most direct but I’m not sure where all the tubing would go at full stuff.

I guess it would depend where you end up putting your solenoids. Mine are under the passenger seat so I ran mine this way. The front I

attached to the diff breather line then ran it under engine bay by sticking it through the crossmember and out the other side. Then ran along the frame up into the passenger footwell. The rear is run along the upper link but mine really doesn't help you out much. Maybe route it along the e-brake cable?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
On 7/10/2022 at 5:03 PM, Gruff said:

I guess it would depend where you end up putting your solenoids. Mine are under the passenger seat so I ran mine this way. The front I

attached to the diff breather line then ran it under engine bay by sticking it through the crossmember and out the other side. Then ran along the frame up into the passenger footwell. The rear is run along the upper link but mine really doesn't help you out much. Maybe route it along the e-brake cable?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Thanks ECJ. I ended up running the front along the upper control arm.  It’s close to the exhaust, so I’m a little concerned about heat. Put it in a heat protective tube. (See pic).

Rear is similar.  Goes along upper control arm then zip tied to the e brake cable. More heat protective sheath. 

67A34C78-EF6A-4D2F-B5BB-FF6542D872C8.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

So here is what I ended up doing with the air system. Dual compressor mounted under the passenger seat with an ARB tank.  Compressor feeds a block manifold. An air line goes from each end of that manifold to a port on the side of each front seat for the 4 wheel fill up system.  Another line goes from the block to the tank through a check valve. A line comes out of the other side of the tank and goes under the console to the driver seat where it connects to daisy chained solenoids for the front and rear lockers as well as the EVO no limits sway bar disconnect.  The compressor switch is there too, along with an pressure gauge.  Some thread sealant is still curing so I haven’t had a chance to charge it up and see if everything works.  Hopefully it will because I am running out of time before the Rubicon/Fordyce trip in the second week of August. 🤞🏻 If it works as intended, I should be able to charge the tank at the start of a day’s run and run lockers and the sway bar disconnect all or most of the day without the compressor triggering on and off. We will see if that works out. I could never eliminate leaks using Teflon tape or paste.  This time I tried some Permatex thread sealant that’s supposed to work for pneumatic systems. 

EFF402E0-C4DE-473B-A45B-1B2AF6802189.jpeg

960E4BCD-3E79-4647-A4A6-C554DFF7F1CD.jpeg

6E4A2DFF-FB2B-4E33-895F-17ADEF647286.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AJK said:

Wow, thats alot going on. That looks great. So are the locker switches separate?

Yeah each locker is on a separate switch. I used the stock ARB harness, which they set up so that the front locker won’t go on unless the rear locker is on. At some point I might rewire so they are completely independent, but that’s a project for another day. I needed to get the Jeep back together and drivable so I can do the 500 mile break in for the gears before heading up to the rubicon in august. 

13 hours ago, Weebz said:

That’s pretty slick.   Let us know how that tank works.   

Thanks. Hardest part is fitting everything under the seats. I sure don’t want to take it all apart again if it doesn’t work. 

8 hours ago, fiend said:

Yeah each locker is on a separate switch. I used the stock ARB harness, which they set up so that the front locker won’t go on unless the rear locker is on. At some point I might rewire so they are completely independent, but that’s a project for another day. I needed to get the Jeep back together and drivable so I can do the 500 mile break in for the gears before heading up to the rubicon in august. 

Mine are completely independent…gives you more options 

• Thumbs Up 2
8 hours ago, 6wt said:

Also to your point about moving the compressor from the hot engine bay to another location…it is why my twin is in my bed of Brute…

Yep. That also works, if you have a bed.  I guess some people put them in the JKU cargo area, maybe in the floor cubby.  

Under the seat has been fine for me because until recently I didn’t have air lockers so didn’t have to deal with the noise inside the cabin until the end of the run at tire fill up time.

Now I’ve switched to air lockers. We will see how this set up works. Hopefully as intended, and the compressor won’t be constantly cycling on and off. 

1 hour ago, fiend said:

Yep. That also works, if you have a bed.  I guess some people put them in the JKU cargo area, maybe in the floor cubby.  

Under the seat has been fine for me because until recently I didn’t have air lockers so didn’t have to deal with the noise inside the cabin until the end of the run at tire fill up time.

Now I’ve switched to air lockers. We will see how this set up works. Hopefully as intended, and the compressor won’t be constantly cycling on and off. 

When you need lockers, you will be concentrating on the line…you won’t even notice the compressor cycling on & off…

2 hours ago, fiend said:

The only time the compressor cycles is when the lockers engage, which after the initial cycle to charge the lines, only lasts for a few seconds. You really don't even notice it. Now if there's a leak and it's constantly cycling on and off, well that's annoying AF and incentive to find it and fix. 

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Gruff said:

The only time the compressor cycles is when the lockers engage, which after the initial cycle to charge the lines, only lasts for a few seconds. You really don't even notice it. Now if there's a leak and it's constantly cycling on and off, well that's annoying AF and incentive to find it and fix. 

Points taken. I’m new to air lockers. At this point I’m just hoping I installed everything correctly and they work. 

1 hour ago, fiend said:

Points taken. I’m new to air lockers. At this point I’m just hoping I installed everything correctly and they work. 

You're gonna love them. Between factory electric and air, hands down air wins. Instant on and off.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Gruff said:

You're gonna love them. Between factory electric and air, hands down air wins. Instant on and off.

Yes, but I will say I felt the factory E locker was much better than the D60 Eaton. I had problems every time with the D60 Eatons, but never with stock or ARB in the PR44.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
13 hours ago, AJK said:

Yes, but I will say I felt the factory E locker was much better than the D60 Eaton. I had problems every time with the D60 Eatons, but never with stock or ARB in the PR44.

I've never had problems with my factory E lockers on the JL per se, they're just not instantaneous like the ARB's. When you're used to those and then having to jockey sometimes to unlock the E lockers it's noticable. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Gruff said:

I've never had problems with my factory E lockers on the JL per se, they're just not instantaneous like the ARB's. When you're used to those and then having to jockey sometimes to unlock the E lockers it's noticable. 

My only two cents with ARB…instant yes, but still plan ahead and engage.  For me driving a manual, I also have to wait for the compressor to charge when I stall.  Bad things happen when they don’t have enough pressure under a load.  

• Like 1
14 hours ago, AJK said:

Even a small leak may get you 10 minutes before it purges again for 2 seconds.

That's about how it was when I was just running the No Limits. That requires constant pressure for the sway bar to remain disengaged.  It would be like running your locker on all day long.  I had some leaks at the fittings, so the compressor would cycle on about every 20 minutes.  Not the end of the world, but annoying.

8 minutes ago, Weebz said:

My only two cents with ARB…instant yes, but still plan ahead and engage.  For me driving a manual, I also have to wait for the compressor to charge when I stall.  Bad things happen when they don’t have enough pressure under a load.  

Agree. Still it's nice when you need to disengage in a tight spot and having it happen right away instead of having to rock it or move some.

Why does your compressor not run when you stall?

14 hours ago, AJK said:

I never had problems with my stock Rubicon e-lockers. Very reliable for engagement and disengagement.

18 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Agree. Still it's nice when you need to disengage in a tight spot and having it happen right away instead of having to rock it or move some.

Why does your compressor not run when you stall?

Because I have them wired to my switch as accessory and my accessories kill when it shuts off.