Bender - 2010 JKUR

16 hours ago, fiend said:

My joints are more like these. I welded the cylindrical part to the axle and will add the inner stuff later.  

https://www.rockjock4x4.com/products/johnny-joints-rod-ends/complete-johnny-joints/weld-on-johnny-joints/2-inch-weld-on-johnny-joints/2-inch-weld-on-standard-johnny-joints

Very nice.  👍. Just wanted to make sure you didn't have any unexpected surprises like this guy.  I was thinking to myself, there’s got to be another way..

I’ve been quoting my axles with the addition of JJ’s also, but seeing this error has me a bit worried.

Cant wait to see these under your Jeep Greer.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the compliments fellas. 

Made some progress this weekend. Front gears are all done. Nice pattern. Backlash and pinion preload in spec. Locker bench tested functional.  I used a spreader so there’s lots of carrier preload. 

I cleaned up the stock diff cover for present purposes. Probably will go with an aftermarket once I figure out the steering and other stuff. 

Got the EMF ball joints and Reid knuckles installed. Started mocking up the tie rod. There’s 7 inches of tie rod throw right now. Too much for my 6.5” PSC ram. Next size up is 8”.  Probably will go with that.  Will do some research this week. 

DC34984C-691F-487F-AC2E-B28B628CD51D.jpeg

4BBE5F32-27D4-4192-9483-3320594C3B84.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3
11 hours ago, Gruff said:

Looking good! 8" Throw is what I'm using on my new as well as the previous 60. 

Thanks. I’ve read that 8” is pretty common for 60s. PSC also can customize travel.  I wonder how long that would take. 

• Thumbs Up 1
2 hours ago, fiend said:

Thanks. I’ve read that 8” is pretty common for 60s. PSC also can customize travel.  I wonder how long that would take. 

I’ve read that you can call PSC and have them limit the new 8” ram internally to the stroke length of your steering.  They just shim the ram internally to achieve this.  

• Thumbs Up 1
38 minutes ago, Crawl2Camp said:

I’ve read that you can call PSC and have them limit the new 8” ram internally to the stroke length of your steering.  They just shim the ram internally to achieve this.  

Yeah. According to their website it costs $65 to modify a new ram bought from them or $100 if you send in your own. Before I decide, I want to mess around with my steering and make sure I get at least as much turning angle as I currently have. No point in putting in all the time and money for the swap, only to have less performance. 

• Thumbs Up 1
1 hour ago, fiend said:

Yeah. According to their website it costs $65 to modify a new ram bought from them or $100 if you send in your own. Before I decide, I want to mess around with my steering and make sure I get at least as much turning angle as I currently have. No point in putting in all the time and money for the swap, only to have less performance. 

Thought I read that the 60 has a better turning radius.  I do too much reading.  

44 minutes ago, Crawl2Camp said:

Thought I read that the 60 has a better turning radius.  I do too much reading.  🤪

Potentially. It depends on a bunch of things. Contact of the tire to the frame, control arms, body, and bumpers, for example. Tire size and axle width bear on this, as does wheel backspacing. But other things include clearance between the tie rod and diff cover.   Placement of hydraulic ram. Lots of variables, which I’m working through. 

• Thumbs Up 1
1 hour ago, fiend said:

Potentially. It depends on a bunch of things. Contact of the tire to the frame, control arms, body, and bumpers, for example. Tire size and axle width bear on this, as does wheel backspacing. But other things include clearance between the tie rod and diff cover.   Placement of hydraulic ram. Lots of variables, which I’m working through. 

I had to add to the steering stops for tire rub on mine and choke the ram a little on my 60s with a 8 inch ram.  If I turn too hard passenger you can hear it over working.

54 minutes ago, AxK said:

I had to add to the steering stops for tire rub on mine and choke the ram a little on my 60s with a 8 inch ram.  If I turn too hard passenger you can hear it over working.

Extra width should help with that. What WMS did you spec for the curries?

8 hours ago, fiend said:

We talked about doing this as well. Ultimately I think 7.5-7.75 would the sweet spot. It's only shims that they install. Taking the ram apart isn't too difficult. Especially if you welded up your own axles & set up your gears. 

• Thumbs Up 1
2 hours ago, Gruff said:

We talked about doing this as well. Ultimately I think 7.5-7.75 would the sweet spot. It's only shims that they install. Taking the ram apart isn't too difficult. Especially if you welded up your own axles & set up your gears. 

I’d expect I’d do it myself.  Watch a few YouTube videos and get to work, like rest of the project so far. 😂

Nice work on those axles!   Looks great.   The ram is fairly easy to modify from what I’ve watched as well.   I run an 8” as well and mine definitely is straining at full clock but I have had no issue from that.  I do however have a bent shaft on mine and will be replacing it.   

2 hours ago, fiend said:

If it’s not too late you might consider another inch or two of width. 

Just got off the phone with Currie. That’s dead in the water. Over 20k and it feels irresponsible to spend that much already having a set of 60s under her. Currie now wants all money up front before they build, and I can understand why, but that make things difficult when you have 15k axles sitting in the garage and 20k out for 14-16 weeks minimum.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
39 minutes ago, AxK said:

Just got off the phone with Currie. That’s dead in the water. Over 20k and it feels irresponsible to spend that much already having a set of 60s under her. Currie now wants all money up front before they build, and I can understand why, but that make things difficult when you have 15k axles sitting in the garage and 20k out for 14-16 weeks minimum.

Things are really getting out of hand. I ordered my set last Nov because I was worried about this happening. If I didn't need the extra width I would have likely stayed with my Dynatracs. It's not like they're substandard.

Shit's only gonna get worse too. Inflation's up to 8.5% and climbing  🖕

2 hours ago, Gruff said:

Things are really getting out of hand. I ordered my set last Nov because I was worried about this happening. If I didn't need the extra width I would have likely stayed with my Dynatracs. It's not like they're substandard.

Shit's only gonna get worse too. Inflation's up to 8.5% and climbing  🖕

Yeah really out of control.  Might as well spend your money while you have the chance, it’s loosing massive value by the day.