Another battery bites the dust

My AGM battery I purchased from AAA died this year, due to the Jeep sitting for many months without driving it.  I brought it back to life with my neighbors battery repair/charger/tender unit he let me borrow.  To prevent this from happening again I just ordered a NOCO 2D that is a 2 amp tender you install permanently under the hood.  I’ll let you know how it works out. 

18422147-0FAA-4B4D-9465-6EAB9EE67736.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Crawl2Camp said:

My AGM battery I purchased from AAA died this year, due to the Jeep sitting for many months without driving it.  I brought it back to life with my neighbors battery repair/charger/tender unit he let me borrow.  To prevent this from happening again I just ordered a NOCO 2D that is a 2 amp tender you install permanently under the hood.  I’ll let you know how it works out. 

So do you wire it into battery and mount then can plug in whenever you want?

1 hour ago, AxK said:

So do you wire it into battery and mount then can plug in whenever you want?

Yeah thats how it works.  it’s wired with ring terminals that you connect to the battery and you just need to plug the unit in. It’s also supposed to be waterproof, heatproof etc.  I guess I'm prepping for Tesla ownership.

0179FE8A-3027-46E2-A79F-3C28DDF2067B.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
16 hours ago, Crawl2Camp said:

I might look into that.  Or start driving my Jeep more often. 😁

• Thumbs Up 1
14 hours ago, Crawl2Camp said:

Yeah thats how it works.  it’s wired with ring terminals that you connect to the battery and you just need to plug the unit in. It’s also supposed to be waterproof, heatproof etc.  I guess I'm prepping for Tesla ownership.

0179FE8A-3027-46E2-A79F-3C28DDF2067B.jpeg

I just ordered one. Hopefully it helps me buy less batteries. 

If it does good, I may get a second one

• Thumbs Up 1
5 minutes ago, fiend said:

Same issue. Mine suck. Always coming loose. 

Mine don't come loose, but I've got a bunch of extra wires attached that make it a pain in the ass to pull the battery when needed. I know I've seen terminals that are like blocks but don't know anyone with any personal experience with them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just wanted to give an update on the NOCO 2D.  I’ve had the unit installed for the past two weeks and it really seems to be doing it’s job.  The unit detected my battery needing charging on initial install and I now just leave it plugged in when the Jeep is in the garage.  Pulled the Jeep out yesterday to do some spring cleaning and install some door mounts on the wall and it fired up strong.  Here’s a photo of the unit before I installed it.  It’s quite small and easy to mount somewhere under the hood. 

81054A36-4E63-4BFA-8B2A-2760962DB25D.jpeg

FF7F2129-CA13-40D4-90A1-BA52973A2133.jpeg

On 1/15/2022 at 6:05 AM, fiend said:

I bought two Odyssey AGM batteries in 2018.  One died within two years. Amazon replaced it, thankfully.  The second one just died, just short of four years out. A little disappointed given the “premium” quality of the Odyssey.  After getting the runaround from Amazon trying to warranty it (supposedly 4 years), I just picked up an AGM from the local O’reillys.  A hundred bucks cheaper. We’ll see how it goes!🤞🏻

I have not yet pulled the trigger on a new battery, I’m hoping I can get to November with the current battery situation.

Well my 9 month old Autozone Duralast Platinum shit the bed.  Its well within the free replacement warranty so I'll replace it with the same.

Jeep had been parked for about 6 weeks then wouldn't start.  Jump stars fine, voltages good when running but battery won't take a charge.

Turns out the fuse in my multimeter is blown so I can't check parasitic current draw.   I had autozone charge the old one to 100% and leave it overnight. It was down to 60% next morning with nothing on it.  It still had cranking amps, but due to the fast self discharge they replaced it under warranty.  I put the new battery in yesterday and the Jeep started fine this morning.   Hopefully that problem is behind me  now.

On 9/20/2022 at 9:48 AM, Dave said:

Turns out the fuse in my multimeter is blown so I can't check parasitic current draw.   I had autozone charge the old one to 100% and leave it overnight. It was down to 60% next morning with nothing on it.  It still had cranking amps, but due to the fast self discharge they replaced it under warranty.  I put the new battery in yesterday and the Jeep started fine this morning.   Hopefully that problem is behind me  now.

Yeah, for me both time the battey gave me issues there was no saving it, I just got a new one. Glad you got it figure out Dave. 

On 9/20/2022 at 9:17 AM, fiend said:

That is disappointing to say the least.  

i picked up one of those Noco 2D tenders that Kevin mentioned above. So far so good. Jeep starts right up, even with a parasitic draw that I’ve not been able to find and fix. 

on your draw have you checked your headlights? I was getting a draw from my LED headlights.

19 minutes ago, Nice Little Jeep said:

on your draw have you checked your headlights? I was getting a draw from my LED headlights.

I checked everything and never could find the draw. No trickle charger can keep up with it.  I still have to jump my batteries together to start the jeep after it's been sitting more than a day.🙄