Favorite suspension systems and why

1 hour ago, AxK said:

Ya , the builds Devin has going on in his shop are impressive to say the least. I am fortunate to have him as a good friend and access to this shop and his knowledge. He is a big reason my jeep is tuned in and running amazing.

From last year to now, I'm not sure what is a bigger improvement, the performance of the Jeep, or the performance of the driver👍

Either way, it's been good to see 👍

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, BHaner said:

Yep.  I do need to spend time tuning it.  I know it could be better than it is. 

I need to add bump stops to the rear for sure.  The yellow factory bumps are about done.  I need some fancy hydro bumps.

I also need to firm up the front because it will bottom out if I hit something too hard.  It is fine when I have no top and doors... But add in the hard top and all my gear and it ain't good.

I haven't noticed anything like bump steer in the rear.  It always seems stable.  I just start hitting the bump stops hard after the 3-4th hit.  I cranked up the compression a few turns at one point and it did help.  It still feels like I need to speed up the rebound and slow down the compression.

If you have the evo valving the biggest thing is losing a ton of rebound valving. Both their standard dtd and single 2.0 c/o valving has way too much rebound control. Good on the street but not in the dirt.

Also the compression valving is a bit on the soft side if you want to go fast. But the biggest ride comfort difference in all of the evo setups has been lightening the rebound  and spring settings. 
Also to be honest Wayne at Alltech has helped me figure out a lot of the valving setups.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, BHaner said:

Yep.  I do need to spend time tuning it.  I know it could be better than it is. 

I need to add bump stops to the rear for sure.  The yellow factory bumps are about done.  I need some fancy hydro bumps.

I also need to firm up the front because it will bottom out if I hit something too hard.  It is fine when I have no top and doors... But add in the hard top and all my gear and it ain't good.

I haven't noticed anything like bump steer in the rear.  It always seems stable.  I just start hitting the bump stops hard after the 3-4th hit.  I cranked up the compression a few turns at one point and it did help.  It still feels like I need to speed up the rebound and slow down the compression.

Maybe while we have mine torn up at your place for the cage we can put these in for “practice”. Lol. They’ve literally been sitting in this drawer for almost a year. image.thumb.jpg.57c82c039c884ff5ebda38f128d09967.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
On 1/20/2022 at 6:56 PM, Redline said:

If you have the evo valving the biggest thing is losing a ton of rebound valving. Both their standard dtd and single 2.0 c/o valving has way too much rebound control. Good on the street but not in the dirt.

Also the compression valving is a bit on the soft side if you want to go fast. But the biggest ride comfort difference in all of the evo setups has been lightening the rebound  and spring settings. 
Also to be honest Wayne at Alltech has helped me figure out a lot of the valving setups.

I would love to hear you dig a little further on this.  I realize that the bolt on co's are the equivalent to lincoln logs vs. actual building materials.  I have found sources like crawlpedia and stuff like that.  Is there really much to "tune" on something like the bolt on's or is it really something more when you get in to bypasses and stuff like that?

44 minutes ago, KevinG said:

I would love to hear you dig a little further on this.  I realize that the bolt on co's are the equivalent to lincoln logs vs. actual building materials.  I have found sources like crawlpedia and stuff like that.  Is there really much to "tune" on something like the bolt on's or is it really something more when you get in to bypasses and stuff like that?

Devin is out in Hammertown for KOH so might take him a few days to answer, but I can tell you this. He revalved and rebuilt my coilovers a few weeks ago. Before the revalving I felt the suspension was holding me back when we were driving fast meaning I wanted to go faster than the Jeep would let me and I would eat the rear end up on the bumps all day long. After the rebuild its the other way around I could just keep my foot in it in and the Jeep responds so much better and I was no longer bottoming out allowing me to drive how I wanted to.

With crawling it feels more stable now and when you get three wheeled it feels in control. Like you can feel the tire come off the ground instead of a slingshot effect before and weight transfer.

Valving is like regearing you don't know how much better it is until you redo it and feel it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
8 minutes ago, KevinG said:

ugh, i have been so out of it the last couple of days that I totally forgot KOH.  I haven't really looked at social media other than the what'sapp chat and a few other group chats.  

You still running bolt ons, Alan?

You feeling better at all? I know the feeling you're going through I just got back on my feet.

As of right now yes still have the bolt on coilovers my plan is to go Genright but I also told myself I want to wheel this year instead of having my Jeep on jack stands for half the year.

3 minutes ago, AxK said:

You feeling better at all? I know the feeling you're going through I just got back on my feet.

As of right now yes still have the bolt on coilovers my plan is to go Genright but I also told myself I want to wheel this year instead of having my Jeep on jack stands for half the year.

Yeah you did the "jeep on jackstand mod for most of a summer" before.  I'm also hoping to avoid it.  I want to do something different in the back, but I don't know what.  Qtec has a rear DTD in stock, but the front wouldn't be in till april at best.  I'm probably going to just stick with what I got and get the rear bumps in to help.

I'm feeling a little more normal.  Hardly had an appetite over the last few days, but finally got a negative test and came in to work.  I haven't slept well and when I am awake I just feel tired.  It sucks.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, KevinG said:

Yeah you did the "jeep on jackstand mod for most of a summer" before.  I'm also hoping to avoid it.  I want to do something different in the back, but I don't know what.  Qtec has a rear DTD in stock, but the front wouldn't be in till april at best.  I'm probably going to just stick with what I got and get the rear bumps in to help.

I'm feeling a little more normal.  Hardly had an appetite over the last few days, but finally got a negative test and came in to work.  I haven't slept well and when I am awake I just feel tired.  It sucks.

Sucks Kevin, hope you get your energy back soon. 

It’s interesting Alan as I will say my COs never get unstable crawling.  I was very aware of all tire lift off.  The only complaint I had was it was “springy” when being pushed but not bad.   Now speed runs….different story.   Never felt good control with those.   

16 minutes ago, Weebz said:

It’s interesting Alan as I will say my COs never get unstable crawling.  I was very aware of all tire lift off.  The only complaint I had was it was “springy” when being pushed but not bad.   Now speed runs….different story.   Never felt good control with those.   

Yeah its hard to explain. The valving has more control and the springy feel you say is gone. The load transfer when a wheel comes off the ground is much smoother now.

7 minutes ago, Weebz said:

I agree but I am so limited in what different stuff "feels" like and have such a hard time comprehending how much better it could be.  The first Jeep I rode in with coilovers was my own.  When I went on that first trip with Byron back in May of 2020, Byron and Mike (with the gray stretched TJ with ORI's) did a night run up Moab Rim and I rode with Mike.  It definitely felt "different" but I can't put my finger on what exactly felt different other than not feeling springy at all.  Just planted.  The only other one I have ridden in was Byron's after the new years run in 21 and that was just going in to Vegas for dinner on the freeway.

As a side note, this whole discussion is why I am so psyched to be part of this forum.  I have had a chance to wheel with a lot of you and can say I honestly look up to all you guys.

Everything is relative.   Spring rates.  Jeep weights.  Distribution.   Ride heights.   It’s very hard to compare until you start changing and comparing your own set up.   At the end of the day find what is comfortable for you and where you are happy.   What I like you may hate.   The beauty of it all is we can bounce all these ideas and set ups off each other to continue to improve.   

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Redline said:

Time to fix some more Evo design failures! Started hearing an occasional “TINK” noise when suspension would articulate this weekend while running around KOH. Low and behold found that rear upper arm mounts are breaking off.

CF6F570C-3EFA-4A8F-84B8-26A90C2D25E4.jpeg

C89365CE-2FA6-444B-8BC5-77B6E0DDA7B8.jpeg

Is that the long arm kit?

1 hour ago, Redline said:

Time to fix some more Evo design failures! Started hearing an occasional “TINK” noise when suspension would articulate this weekend while running around KOH. Low and behold found that rear upper arm mounts are breaking off.

CF6F570C-3EFA-4A8F-84B8-26A90C2D25E4.jpeg

C89365CE-2FA6-444B-8BC5-77B6E0DDA7B8.jpeg

Well that is a pretty familiar site.   I was told it was my fault and pay them a few hundred bucks for new brackets.   

58 minutes ago, Weebz said:

Well that is a pretty familiar site.   I was told it was my fault and pay them a few hundred bucks for new brackets.   

After looking online and the very large number of people running the kit who have had it happen im finding, i guarantee it wasnt your fault! After Koh ill get the fix done and see if what im thinking works out as planned.