The Fishing Report

6wt

I've also never fly fished, but you've piqued my interest.  Looking at flies there are so many varieties buggers, nymphs, caddis and an assortment of colors.  Not much information on how to choose what for any particular species or conditions.  Any suggestions for someone thats just beginning?

On 3/5/2022 at 6:13 AM, Dave said:

I've also never fly fished, but you've piqued my interest.  Looking at flies there are so many varieties buggers, nymphs, caddis and an assortment of colors.  Not much information on how to choose what for any particular species or conditions.  Any suggestions for someone thats just beginning?

YouTube...that is how I learned to cast a fly rod. The whole concept of fly fishing is that you are fishing with "lures" that have very little weight, which cannot be cast with conventional fishing gear...you are basically casting the fly line, which has mass, that is attached to the fly. In the trout world, everything revolves around the life cycles of aquatic insects. Most start their life on the bottom of the river or stream in their larval or pupal stage(s)...they either crawl to shore or swim to the surface to enter their airborne adult stage...then lay eggs on the water's surface and die. This has been going on for hundreds of thousands of years, and trout have evolved to feed on them at all stages of their life. Nymph flies represent the underwater stages of this life cycle, dry flies the airborne stage. Then there are streamer flies that represent minnows, sculpins or crustaceans...there are flies that look like fish roe, aquatic worms, etc...and specialty flies, like flesh flies that imitate the rotting flesh of dead fish (mostly salmon) that trout gorge on after a salmon spawn.

Try checking out the Orvis series on youtube...great for learning to cast, fly presentation, knot and leader systems, etc...a good fly rod to start with for trout is a 5wt with a weight forward floating line...

b5.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Ed,  I'll check those videos out.  My fishing experience is mostly small steams in dense foliage or high altitude streams/lakes when backpacking.  All in the Sierra.  I have a light weight short rig and usually use salmon eggs, sometimes worms.  In some areas non barbed artificial lures are required, so I have a few modified store bought lures and flies for that.

Mostly I like just following small streams up in the east sierra.  A lot are so small and thick the idea of casting seems illogical but occasionally happen upon a clearing or pool.

47 minutes ago, Dave said:

Thanks Ed,  I'll check those videos out.  My fishing experience is mostly small steams in dense foliage or high altitude streams/lakes when backpacking.  All in the Sierra.  I have a light weight short rig and usually use salmon eggs, sometimes worms.  In some areas non barbed artificial lures are required, so I have a few modified store bought lures and flies for that.

Mostly I like just following small streams up in the east sierra.  A lot are so small and thick the idea of casting seems illogical but occasionally happen upon a clearing or pool.

That sounds a lot like some of the fishing I did on my friends ranch in Colorado growing up. Small streams winding through Meadows. 

If the fish could see you, or feel the vibrations of your footsteps, you would never catch any. 

You would low crawl to a bend in the creek, and extend your pole with a short length of line out, and dip it in. 

Small hook with a worm worked good. 

You would either instantly catch a fish, or not. If not, move on to the next bend and repeat. If you did, the same, as you would never get more than one from any pool. 

You could hit every bend going out, give it some time, then hit every one again on the way back. 

We would keep some to fry up at night while staying in the camp house. It was a good break from steaks all the time. 

• Thumbs Up 1
3 hours ago, Dave said:

That's some of the best fishing there is...instead of a nine foot 5wt, I'd go with a 7'6" 2wt or 3wt...check out how to do a "bow and arrow" cast...most of the time you'll be just flicking a rod's length of leader out while hiding behind a tree or rock...and a 9" trout will feel like a monster

• Thumbs Up 1